Hi all
i have a GATEWAY MT 6825T LAPTOP and tonight it froze and went all blocky but not all over the screen
so i turned off the laptop and rebooted it but to no avail.
WHAT IS HAPPENING IS THE LAPTOP POWER LIGHT COMES ON AND THE HARD DRIVE LIGHT COMES ON BUT THEN GOES OUT (but the same happens on the other laptop so this must be normal)
luckly enough me and the girlfriend have the same laptop
so the first thing i tried was swapping over hard drives but same happened.
next i swapped over the battery and still the same happened
was going to try swapping over or taking out the memory but didnt know how to
so before i tried thought i would post the problem on here.
i must say every now and again the screen would go blocky but only for a couple of seconds
and not very often
but never had it on the other gateway laptop
so this is making me think it could be down to the RAM
any help would be great
many thanks
regards
scoot

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Sounds like a heat problem. Dont know the configuration of the laptop, but can almost bet the fan to cool it is not running at all or not running at the right speed. Some fans are easy to replace, some require you take the whole darned thing apart.

Sounds like a heat problem. Dont know the configuration of the laptop, but can almost bet the fan to cool it is not running at all or not running at the right speed. Some fans are easy to replace, some require you take the whole darned thing apart.

thanks for the reply computerlady200
i have looked at where the covers come off and can only see one fan
on the broken laptop the fan spins on bootup but then stops
so i checked this on the working laptop and the same happens
so i think i need to look and see if i can take off the whole of the bottom casing
to see if there are any more fans
JUST OUT OF INTEREST WHEN I TAKE OUT ALL OF THE SCREWS FROM THE UNDERSIDE OF THE LAPTOP DOES IT ALL JUST PULL AWAY OR DO I NEED TO SOME HOW GET TO ALL OF THE GUBBINGS FROM UNDER THE KEYBOARD. IF ANYONE HAS ANY LINKS TO HOW TO OPEN UP A LAPTOP PLEASE SEND THEM TO ME.

I have since swapped over the memory modules
so the things i have tried are as follows
(as i have 2 laptops exactly the same)
swapped over batteries NO JOY
swapped over hard drives NO JOY
swapped over both 512mb memory modules NO JOY
and the working laptop still works with the broken laptops 1 gig of memory and hard drive swapped over,
the hard drive light comes up on booting up but goes off at the time the screen should come up saying
press f2 for xxxxxxx press f10 for xxxxxxxx (cant remember what they say)
but doesnt get passed that.
regards
scoot

thanks for the reply computerlady200
i have looked at where the covers come off and can only see one fan
on the broken laptop the fan spins on bootup but then stops
so i checked this on the working laptop and the same happens
so i think i need to look and see if i can take off the whole of the bottom casing
to see if there are any more fans
JUST OUT OF INTEREST WHEN I TAKE OUT ALL OF THE SCREWS FROM THE UNDERSIDE OF THE LAPTOP DOES IT ALL JUST PULL AWAY OR DO I NEED TO SOME HOW GET TO ALL OF THE GUBBINGS FROM UNDER THE KEYBOARD. IF ANYONE HAS ANY LINKS TO HOW TO OPEN UP A LAPTOP PLEASE SEND THEM TO ME.

I have since swapped over the memory modules
so the things i have tried are as follows
(as i have 2 laptops exactly the same)
swapped over batteries NO JOY
swapped over hard drives NO JOY
swapped over both 512mb memory modules NO JOY
and the working laptop still works with the broken laptops 1 gig of memory and hard drive swapped over,
the hard drive light comes up on booting up but goes off at the time the screen should come up saying
press f2 for xxxxxxx press f10 for xxxxxxxx (cant remember what they say)
but doesnt get passed that.
regards
scoot

sorry all tried to edit the above post but wouldnt let me so thought i would add it underneath
so here goes

did forget to put the laptop is running a genuine version of vista
1 gig ram
100 gig hard drive
intel centrino core duo core 2 T5200 @ 1.60 GHZ

on the broken laptop the hard drive light comes on when the laptop is booting up but goes off at the time the screen should come up saying
press f2 for xxxxxxx press f10 for xxxxxxxx (cant remember what is says exactly)
and thats all i get no screen flicker or nothing

but on the working laptop the same happens and when the hard drive light goes off the screen comes on saying press f2 xxxxx pres f10 xxxxxxxxxx
but once the screen goes off the hard drive light comes on again and starts booting windows.
so it seems this is where it finds the problem

regards
scoot

Dont know much about gateway laptops,but usually the f2 and f10 would be f2 to change the bios or f10 for a boot menu. I would do a google search for how to take apart a gateway (whatever model number), I did this for an OLD compaq armada laptop and found directions complete with pictures.

BTW memory is usually a small oblong shape on the bottom of the laptop - haven't worked with many, but the few I have worked on the memory is about center of the back

Could it be that the onboard graphics chip is failing which could be due to the heat as computerlady said. If the fans are not working on the systme then trying to switch it on and off cuold damage your mobo for good. Although that said it might as well be a faulty mobo anyways causing all the trouble.

Raj

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.