Hi all. SHut down my pc as usual last night and this morning it wont boot up. When i turn it on the dell logo screen comes up and the pc freezes. It doesnt respond to f2 or f8 or f12 so cant enter bios or safe mode. Have pulled all the ram and tried with one in different slots. have pulled sound card and network card and dvd drive. Even unplugged hard drive to see if something different would happen.
I hear the processor fan kick in and then drop off. Lights on the case flash and then it settles on lights 1 and 4.
Hoping somebody can suggest something!!!!!!
Feeling like it may be the psu but dont really know how to test it with a multimetre and dont want to fry anything!!!!!!!!

looking forward to some advice.

Cheers

Bigpaul

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

hi bigpaul,if you can borrow a PSU better to try it out, it's better than reading the voltages with a multi meter on your PSU..make sure also that there's enough thermal compound on your heatsink...check if it will help..if still cannot hope someone else here can help you...

hi bigpaul,
I dont think the psu will make your computer freeze.

listen to it when you turn it on, does it make any beeps, that could give a clue as to whats wrong.

if no beeps and if you dont need to save anything you could try to restore it to factory settings. some dell computers can be reset by pressing F11 when you turn the computer on. Just press F11 repeatedly as soon as you push the button to turn it on and then follow the directions.

Its also possible that you might have a virus that is causing the computer to freeze. so, if this is the case and you want to save what you have on your computer I recomend that you take it to a computer shop.

hi bigpaul,if you can borrow a PSU better to try it out, it's better than reading the voltages with a multi meter on your PSU..make sure also that there's enough thermal compound on your heatsink...check if it will help..if still cannot hope someone else here can help you...

Thanks for the advice. Would a lack of thermal compound stop a comp from booting up?

Well what do you know!! Came in this morning and my pc booted up!!!! Said "previous shutdown due to thermal event". I will defo check the thermal compound!!
Thanks for all the help

Paul

Well what do you know!! Came in this morning and my pc booted up!!!! Said "previous shutdown due to thermal event". I will defo check the thermal compound!!
Thanks for all the help

Paul

AAAAARRGGGHHHH!! Pulled out the heat sink (seemed like enough thermal compound) and put more compound on. Back to the original problem!!! Freezing on the dell logo. HELP!!

does the computer give any beeps?

does the computer give any beeps?

No beeps at all!!!

I checked the dell website and it doesn't explain the lights on 1 and 4. check those lights again to see if 1 and 4 light up every time.

also did you make any changes to the computer (hardware or software) before you started having this problem.

and how long do you leave the computer on before you determine its frozen, maybe its going through a slow boot, try to leave it on a little longer to see if it will eventually boot.

I was getting this error with a similar Dell. Ultimately I pulled the CMOS battery to reset the bios, put in a new PSU and a new CPU fan and heat sink. Been fine ever since. A faulty power supply and poor cpu heat distribution can definetly cause the PC to not boot up.

Hope that helps.

I checked the dell website and it doesn't explain the lights on 1 and 4. check those lights again to see if 1 and 4 light up every time.

also did you make any changes to the computer (hardware or software) before you started having this problem.

and how long do you leave the computer on before you determine its frozen, maybe its going through a slow boot, try to leave it on a little longer to see if it will eventually boot.

Always lights 1 and 4 (the others flash a couple of times ).

No changes to pc before problem started.

Definitely not a slow boot. have left it for 5 mins or so.

I was getting this error with a similar Dell. Ultimately I pulled the CMOS battery to reset the bios, put in a new PSU and a new CPU fan and heat sink. Been fine ever since. A faulty power supply and poor cpu heat distribution can definetly cause the PC to not boot up.

Hope that helps.

Have pulled the cmos battery so will see if that helps.
Spoke to a friend who suggested I clean all the thermal compound off and start again. Tried that and it booted ok. Shut it down to put it back under desk and it locked at the dell logo again!!!!!!!
The cpu fan runs ok and the heatsink is contacting properly so i keep coming back to PSU. I have heard to be very carefull replacing one as it must match closely to the original. Any thoughts??

PSU doesn't necessarily have to 'closely' match the orginial. Just be sure it has suffeciant wattage. And has at least the minimum number of connection your configuration needs. For example, PCI x16 support and a 20+4 pin main connector, which I believe your system requires both.
Diagnostic Lights

If you replace the PSU and find out the problem still remains, it is very possible that your CPU was damaged during the 'thermal event'. ~bummer~

PSU doesn't necessarily have to 'closely' match the orginial. Just be sure it has suffeciant wattage. And has at least the minimum number of connection your configuration needs. For example, PCI x16 support and a 20+4 pin main connector, which I believe your system requires both.
Diagnostic Lights

If you replace the PSU and find out the problem still remains, it is very possible that your CPU was damaged during the 'thermal event'. ~bummer~

Bummer indeed!!!!!!

If the cpu was damaged though would it still boot up at random times??

Hello guys,

Recently I has the same issue, I tested the RAM, tried without HDD, without any devices.

However I call to DELL support services, and the solution from them, was that they need to replace the motherboard.

:(

Best regards.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.