Okay I'm a bit new to all this.

This is what I have:
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Two 256 MBs or RAM (I don't know the brand)
Radeon 9600 XT 256
3 Hard Drives - 2 are Western Digital and the other I don't recall
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard

This is the problem - I just bought a new computer case and hooked everything up to my knowledge of how it should connect (For referance - The case I bought was an XG Viper www.xgbox.com). At first, it would load the splash screen of my motherboard and say "CPU failed due to overclocking" on the speakers. I went into the BIOS and fiddled a bit, saved and restarted. Same error happens.

Did this again and still got the error. I turned it off and went to bed. The next day I tried to work on it again but this time, nothing comes up on my screen. I still get the "CPU failed due to overclocking" error, but this time it's sometimes followed by another error saying, "CPU Fan failed".

I turned it off and then back on. This time, I just got the CPU Fan failure. I checked inside and the fan is connected aswell as turning when the computer is on. I changed the fan out and put in the old one and still get the error.

Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi

This sounds like it might not be the CPU that is causing the problem, as both the CPU and Fan have had problems, did you use any anti static equipment when rebuilding the system, the reason i say this is that you have to be very careful around items such as motherboards as the static may have upset the board and therefore may have problems circulating the power around the board.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS jumper on your motherboard, to clear any settings that you might have made in the BIOS?

I figured out the problem. Thanks for all the suggestions. I had the switch on the power supply set wrong.

I kept getting the CPU fan failed; it turned out to be a bad power supply.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.