I'm using a Dell Dimension 5150 machine with BIOS version A05, I'm planning on purchasing a Seagate (or Iomega) external USB 2.0
1TB drive.

I recently contacted Dell hardware support who assured me that the BIOS supports this type of storage device even though I can only find references to USB floppy or USB CD-ROM drives in the BIOS setup.

I need a second opinion, because I don't want to purchase the drive only to find out I can't use it (which has happened to me before) nor am I willing to risk flashing the BIOS to enable support for this type of storage device.

Does anyone have any experience of this machine specification actually supporting this type of external USB drive

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

if you are just going to use it as a usb storage device it should work ,if you are going to want to boot to it with windows installed on it then it may not work

if you are just going to use it as a usb storage device it should work ,if you are going to want to boot to it with windows installed on it then it may not work

Thanks for you input, my intention was just to use the device for storage purposes only, incidentally if I purchased a lower capacity drive say 512GB or 320GB for example would that help further?

Thanks for you input, my intention was just to use the device for storage purposes only, incidentally if I purchased a lower capacity drive say 512GB or 320GB for example would that help further?

i have never see such a large drive in action ,but i see no reason why it wouldn't work as a storage dive ,and as for size it would depend on your need !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.