First of all, this has to be the most informative site for finding answers to almost any question that I have had about my computer. I am really impressed with the amout of knowlegde that the people here have about computers. With that said hopefully some here can advise me of what I need to do with my current system. I am operating a Compaq Presario 5726 Pentium 2 processor with 96 Ram. I bought it new in '99 and have only added a burner to it. I use a cable modem thru Roadrunner and do not play games on it or anything. Should I add memory etc. or should I invest in a new cmmputer? I look forward to hearing everyone's opinion.

Thanks,

Tim

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Such a big difference between buying a new computer and adding some new memory !
If all you are doing is bit of burning and Internet usage ,I would say add some ram and maybe a bigger CPU if you motherboard will take a bigger one ,this info can usually be found on the makers website . or motherboard makers site

Member Avatar for szukalski

The main question I would ask would be "do I need a better computer?".
Are you finding yourself lacking when doing certain things?
Are there things that I can't do because of this computer?
If the answer is no, then you probably don't need a new pc.
Think of it like buying a new car. Does the old one work well enough for what I need?
Of course, if you have some money to spend, you will definitely see an increase in performance if you buy a new pc.
But the question is: do you need it?

commented: Good advice! -- dlh +2

Caperjack,

Thanks a lot for answering my question. I have decide to add 2 128's of RAM to my system. I spec'd it out and found exactly what I need. We shall see if that speeds up the performance of my system. Then if needed I can add another 128 at a later time seeing that the max for my system is 384.

Tim

Caperjack,

Thanks a lot for answering my question. I have decide to add 2 128's of RAM to my system. I spec'd it out and found exactly what I need. We shall see if that speeds up the performance of my system. Then if needed I can add another 128 at a later time seeing that the max for my system is 384.

Tim

your welcom ,you may be able to upgrade the cpu without changing the mothereboard ,but unless you can go from say a 400 /450 to about 600/666 ram will be a cheaper upgrade for you

your welcom ,you may be able to upgrade the cpu without changing the mothereboard ,but unless you can go from say a 400 /450 to about 600/666 ram will be a cheaper upgrade for you

Ok, I added the new ram and powered up my computer only to get a screen on my monitor that asks if "video cable connected?" Then the monitor goes blank. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

Ok, I added the new ram and powered up my computer only to get a screen on my monitor that asks if "video cable connected?" Then the monitor goes blank. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

All i can say is did you make sure it was the right type of Ram for you computer and did yo umake sure to unplug you computer before you added the ram
the video cable error just means the monitor is nor reciveing any signal from the computer

All i can say is did you make sure it was the right type of Ram for you computer and did yo umake sure to unplug you computer before you added the ram
the video cable error just means the monitor is nor reciveing any signal from the computer

I checked before I purchased the memory then double checked the manufacture's web site after I purchased and before I tried to install them and it is correct. I unplugged the computer and moved it to a non-carpeted location (kitchen table) to do the work. The only problem that I had was the bottom clips would not fit in the memory groove. They fit fine on top and seemed to be secure on the bottom but it was off just a frog's hair. I called the store earlier about the problem and they said just to come back and exchange them for 2 more.

I checked before I purchased the memory then double checked the manufacture's web site after I purchased and before I tried to install them and it is correct. I unplugged the computer and moved it to a non-carpeted location (kitchen table) to do the work. The only problem that I had was the bottom clips would not fit in the memory groove. They fit fine on top and seemed to be secure on the bottom but it was off just a frog's hair. I called the store earlier about the problem and they said just to come back and exchange them for 2 more.

Take the store up on there offer !

Take the store up on there offer !

Cool, that is what I planned on doing, thanks for your help.

Also be very careful when handling the ram ,also when you unplug the computer hold in the start button for a minute to drain all power from the Power supply and capacitors

I thought I would give you an update with my situation. I ended up with Viking RAM, it fit like a glove in my system. My computer is back to normal and not locking up or anything. I also added a 19" LG LCD monitor so it seems like I have a new system. Thanks so much for your help Caperjack!

Capt. Tim

Right On ,sounds great,
nice monitor ,makes big difference ,I added 19" a few years back ,not LDC though, but it did make a world of differnce

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.