I'm currently running an ASUS P5Q-EM motherboard with a 250 GB hard drive with all my data on it and Windows XP Home. I purchased and installed two 640 GB hard drives with the intention of using these in a RAID1 configuration for all my personal data, and leaving all the system data on the original 250 GB drive. The problem I have encountered is after I set the SATA setting to RAID in the bios and set up the RAID volume with the two new disks, Windows will not boot. I checked the bios, and the single 250 GB drive is still listed first in the boot order, and then the new raid volume. Is there any way to set this hardware raid up without reinstalling windows? Thanks for the help

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I don't think so. The boot drive must have the windows OS on it. You'll need a floppy drive to make this work. (Press F6 to load driver).
Read this before you proceed:
Why RAID is (usually) a Terrible Idea
http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.php?id=29

The OS and all system data are still on the 250 GB drive that I am trying to boot from, actually at this point everything is still on that drive since I can't get the RAID configuration working yet

The OS and all system data are still on the 250 GB drive that I am trying to boot from, actually at this point everything is still on that drive since I can't get the RAID configuration working yet

from what i know about raid ,it doesn't work the way you think it does ,you cant raid 2 drives in a 3 drive system !maybe with dual booting ,but then you would have to install windows on one of the new drives ,and install a boot manager program ,i think anyway

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.