Ok I just got a new nVidia Geforce 9600 GT graphics card and I can't seem to get the sound to work and I have an HDMI cable plugged into my graphics card. My pc shows no playback devices. How do I get the sound to work?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I believe you need a spdif connector cable, if you have that already, it should connect from the card to the mobo somewhere around the PCI slots and I think it's only 2 pins.
Read the manual for your motherboard to see where it gets plugged in.
If you don't have the manual, go to the manufacturers site and download it in PDF

Go to the Audio applet in control panel, then choose the "Audio" tab once the Audio applet has opened, then switch between the onboard/add in card (Sound card) or HDMI by using the drop down for "Default Device". ignore the comment by he previous poster... the SPDIF is either on board or or on a add in card (Sound Card) ... not your Video card... the audio for the HDMI is passed through the Video Card... there is a drop down to change between hardware options .. you will notice one may have the Video card vendors brand name .. I.E Nvidia or ATI choosing this option will enable HDMI audio output.

If your system shows no Audio devices, I'd ask have you installed the drivers, the drivers for both audio and video should both install by using the CD which shipped with your video card, you could also download the latest drivers from the vendors web site. if your old Audio hardware was working, it should still be working unless it's on-board and you have disabled it within the BIOS settings, is there sound from the system using the audio you used before installing the video card with HDMI?

I believe you need a spdif connector cable, if you have that already, it should connect from the card to the mobo somewhere around the PCI slots and I think it's only 2 pins.
Read the manual for your motherboard to see where it gets plugged in.
If you don't have the manual, go to the manufacturers site and download it in PDF

Where can I find the manual for a Dell Inc 0FJ030 motherboard?

Where can I find the manual for a Dell Inc 0FJ030 motherboard?

It's not the SPDIF .. this is the Digital connection such as Digital cable or Digital Laser light ... if you want audio from the HDMI folow the steps I posted above .. the post about the SPDIF is completely wrong .. take my word for it.

It's not the SPDIF .. this is the Digital connection such as Digital cable or Digital Laser light ... if you want audio from the HDMI folow the steps I posted above .. the post about the SPDIF is completely wrong .. take my word for it.

How do I open the audio applet in Windows 7???

Click Sart
in the search dialogue type
mmsys.cpl
the Sound & Multimedia will launch
Right click on the Nvidia sound device and choose set as default.

Click Sart
in the search dialogue type
mmsys.cpl
the Sound & Multimedia will launch
Right click on the Nvidia sound device and choose set as default.

The only thing it shows is speakers, it doesn't show an Nvidia sound device

i have the same problem about sound card...
it say's: No audio devices are installed. On XP it work's fine, but on Windows 7 doesn't work.... and when i unplug sound card from mainboard i can't find any drivers for sound -.-
any solution's? thanks

and down in corner near clock say's: No Audio Output Device is installed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.