a year ago i built my own computer, it failed to start up after a power surge so i replaced the mother board thinking the the north bridge was fried. now the computer when i start it up runs for a couple seconds before turning off and failing to show any indicator on the sceen

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Could possibly be a power supply issue

a year ago i built my own computer, it failed to start up after a power surge so i replaced the mother board thinking the the north bridge was fried. now the computer when i start it up runs for a couple seconds before turning off and failing to show any indicator on the sceen

Try replacing the PSU. most likely if there is a power surge it will fry the PSU first.

check the PSU. Do a soft power test by taking out the PSU and shorting the Green wires.

Hi there lemonade,

It is your hard drive. You got to remove your hard drive and place it as a secondary drive and the second computer will fix all the errors onboard the faulty hard drive then place it in the original computer. worked for me. By the way if it was the PSU the computer would not boot up at all.

Regards,

~ShahBoii

Hi there lemonade,

It is your hard drive. You got to remove your hard drive and place it as a secondary drive and the second computer will fix all the errors onboard the faulty hard drive then place it in the original computer. worked for me. By the way if it was the PSU the computer would not boot up at all.

Regards,

~ShahBoii

Sorry but i have to say your wrong on this. If you read he clearly stats it never boots. it turns off pretty much as soon as he turns it on. Therefor, It has nothing to do with the hdd. And if it was the hdd you could boot in safe mode. But, since this is not the case, there is only 2 factors the cmos batt or the psu. In this case describin the issue... its not the cmos batt. because everytime he would turn it on, it would ask to go back to default settings, so the only thing left is the PSU. In a corrupt PSU you can turn on the power sometimes and sometimes you cant. Sometimes you have to hold it in or take out the power cord. Beleive me i had a bad power supply. So needless to say, to fix this issue it would be wise to change the power supply.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.