I have a 2000 gateway E-3400 and when i turn it on it does not beep, but the cdrom drive has power, the keyboard is lighted up, the front light is on, and the fan is running. Nothing on the monitor comes up though and the monitor works. Does anybody know what could be wrong with it.?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I have a 2000 gateway E-3400 and when i turn it on it does not beep, but the cdrom drive has power, the keyboard is lighted up, the front light is on, and the fan is running. Nothing on the monitor comes up though and the monitor works. Does anybody know what could be wrong with it.?

Hi,

I would first assume the power supply, but also check video card, also try removing the cmos battery to reset the bios. You could also try and unplug the ide and floppy drive cables and power connectors. and see if you get video. Then remove all the other pci/isa cards (not the video) and try to power it up. If by chance you do get it to power on put the cables on one at a time and also the cards one at a time to find the culprit. Also look on the motherboard to see if there are any resitors that are leaking or bulged (if they are thats an indication of a bad motherboard)

Good Luck

Tim

I'm actually thinking CPU or RAM being unseated here, but check the vid card first like he said.

Traditionally, when the PC can't get to post, assuming the vid card is ok, I'd expect to find bad RAM, or a fried CPU, if they're plugged in properly.

Good luck though.

Also look on the motherboard to see if there are any resitors that are leaking or bulged.

Resistors leak or bulged!
Those big round things are (Capacitors) I won't assume it the power supply yet because cdrom open if voltage drop below 11.75vdc on the rail cdrom won't open and computer won't power on all the way. If it bad motherboard which it could be still but won't put it first on my list yet unless lights would turn on but nothing else no fans

I would check the videocard first in another computer see if it work since it usally first to go with this problem, then if it isn't. checked the cpu, and reset cmos remove battery and put back in. check ram to. if none of the following works check voltage on psu make sure 12vdc 5vdc and 3.3vdc make sure not below to much. if this doesn't work replaced the motherboard then.

I would also check the graphics (video) card inside another machine. also check the VGA cable between the graphics card and the monitor. sometimes these can go faulty.

if these checks prove ok then it might be that the AGP card slot on the motherbaord has gone. there are two ways round it - buy a PCI graphics card or get a new motherboard:cool:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.