Mother Board: Intel 845
Processor: Intel Celeron 2.4 ghz
I'm thinking of increasing RAM to 1.024 gb of ram from 128 mb. Will the computer speed up? The memory I use normally comes to 180 when seen in task manager.
Is it better that I buy 256mb ram and is 1gb of ram useless?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I would go with the 1gb of memory. You would definitely see a performance increase, and having the 1gb of memory can give you a little cushion for future software you might add.

moderate_rock48 is right,

that would make a HUGE difference. When I had 512mb of ram and playing Ureal Tournament 2005, the level that takes place in space with ships loaded in over 30 seconds. Since I added an additional 512 mb module the loading time is under 15 seconds.

1024 mb ram is not useless but if you are someone that only surfs the net and plays card games you might not need it. I dont think its the case for you though.

Maybe you should start with 512mb or around that. After a little while, if you think you could use more just add more. The prices might also drop a bit during that time. :)

By the way, what kind of ram do you have??

2.4GHz with only 128mb ram? My god man, what were you thinking?!

Today, 1gb is probably standard, or close to it.

2.4GHz with only 128mb ram? My god man, what were you thinking?!

Today, 1gb is probably standard, or close to it.

every decent systems on sale today have at least 512mb or 1gb of ram

haha, im still running 384mb of ram on my 5 year old HP, uhg its frustrating...But not to worry im building my own new and improved computer in a little while! ;)

It'll be about time!! lol I should shut up cuz 6 years ago I had a 486 66mhz with 32mb ram. I then jumped to a P4 1.5ghz 256mb ram and now I have a 3ghz. Looking at that trend, it looks like im going to have a 4.5ghz next :D .... or maybe not.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.