I’m at a loss...I built a system that functions perfectly. Except...when it is powered down it automatically reboots in about 3 minutes. I've seen this with win 2000, but this system has XP pro + all updates. It's a complete new build. No recycled parts. In the bios power management is enabled, but all the options are disabled. The bios is the latest and greatest...so...I'm lost...

PC Chips M916 mobo
P4 2.4
480W power sup
1GB PC3200

Any ideas???

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

My pc. has a similar problem. Whenever I turn on my hi - fi it shuts down or turns itself on.

Hi phobos- welcome to TechTalk. :)

This may be a long shot, but the "wake on lan" (WOL) networking feature sometimes causes this behaviour.

If you haven't done so already, disable WOL in the BIOS, and uncheck the "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" option in the Power Management tab of your network card's Properties window.

Wake on keyboard also can do it. Some keyboards aren't properly grounded and can send small random signals even when no key is pressed. This is usually no problem as they get filtered out in the keyboard processor but the wakeup system might trigger on them.

Of course a sure way to turn it off is to literally pull the plug :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.