Member Avatar for wineba

I am having horrendous problems with my system trying to get the temp down. I have downloaded MBM5 from this site and it shows my case at 39 c, CPU at 62c and sensor at 3c. I have changed the heat sink twice now running an artic cooler . I put the thermalgrease on as required. System is:

Athlon 3200 XP 400fsb.
Gigabyte GA-7400 Pr0
512 PC 2700 DDR
80GB HD
case fan out,
350PSW
Ndvidia FX5200
The bios for this board shows the temp also at 60c. I have had the blue screen of death on occasions. System very slow running Medal of Honour Pacific Assault. I am running the bios things at 200mhz which on the start up screen shows the CPU to be a correct Athlon 3200. If I turn down the bios to run at 100Mhz the start up scren shows an athlon 1500.
Why is my machine running too hot and is there a problem with my bios setting. V core etc are all set to normal

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Is this actually an XP 3200+, or is it a 2500+ overclocked by changing the FSB to run at 200MHz? If so, then it may be pushed too hard for the particular chip you have. Not all of them overclock as well as each other.

If it's a genuine 3200+, then the heatsink changes you refer to might hold the key to your problem. Did you effectively clean the processor die core between changes? Did you use a good quality thermal compound? Have you damaged the heatsink retention clip lugs during the changes?

The processor needs to be cleaned every time the heatsink is removed. Traces of the previous thermal materual remain otherwise, and things become inefficient. I personally use rags torn from old bedsheets, methylated spirits, and a fair bit of time and effort to clean them. This article is a good one for explaining the alternatives:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

White, silicone based thermal pastes should be avoided at all costs, because they are quite inefficient. So should any replacement 'pads' which carry the thermal transfer material impregnated in a wax-based medium, like the pads on a stock heatsink. Arctic Silver 5 is the best material to use, in my view.

Member Avatar for wineba

Thanks for the info, the cpu is a genuine 3200+
I noticed that the white thermal paste I put on is more than likley the silicon compound you refere. So I will clean it all up and get some Astic Silver 5 if i can find it. The retention clip lugs are Ok. I went out and bough a double exaust fan today in attempt to cool things down.
Re the FSB speed I have set the bios to 166 fsb and it now reads on the black start up screen Athlon 2500! If I set it to 200 then it reverts back to the correct 3200 but the heat goes up.

I suspect the trouble is certainly the connection between heatsink and processor.

Be careful when using a solvent such as methylated spirits or acetone. Don't just splatter it about willy-nilly. Solvents can also dissolve the gum which holds the 'pads' to the top of the processor, and if those are dislodged during heatsink instakllation you'll have even more problems than before! Give it several scrubs, allow it to dry in between, and be careful to ensure that it is dry and free of any dust, lint etc before applying the thermal paste. If using AS5, ensure that only the die core has paste applied to it. Don't neglect to thoroughly clean the underside of the heatsink also, if it has already been in use.

Setting the FSB speed in BIOS in the way you describe is one of the basic techniques of overclocking (or underclocking, as you've found out!) The only dofference in settings for a 3200+ as compared to a 2500+ is FSB speed. Bith chips use the same clock multiplier. My own system reports a 3200+, but the processor is actually a 2500+.

Was your processor purchased and fitted by yourself. If so, was it purchased as a 'Retail pack, complete with the stock heatsink and carrying an AMD logo on the packaging? There have been instances reported of unscrupulous poeple who've sold systems with the processor overclocked, and charged higher prices for them than were warranted. The part number of the 3200+ should be AXDA3200DKV4E not AXDA2500DKV4D as is the case for the 2500+.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.