I just bought a used Samsung SyncMaster 753DF 17 in. monitor yesterday, and it works great, the image is nice and bright, the color is great (this was an upgrade from an old CTX monitor with 11.5 in. image size), but no matter how I adust the settings, there is an upward curve at the bottom of the screen. I see no settings to adjust vertical concave/convex imagery. Am I missing something? Is this a 'bad' monitor, or is there something I can do with the geometry settings, for example?

I saw there is a .pdf file available for download from Samsung's site, but my Acrobat Reader is not working, so I can't view the manufacturer's instruction booklet. I'm hoping someone here would know what adjustments I might be able to make.

I'm using Windows '98, by the way.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer - this curve is driving me crazy.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hi Anahita

Post the link for that pdf file and someone here could read it and check for relevent geometry settings. (Me for example :))

Sounds like geometry to me. Maybe it can be corrected, maybe not.

Hi Anahita

Post the link for that pdf file and someone here could read it and check for relevent geometry settings. (Me for example :))

Sounds like geometry to me. Maybe it can be corrected, maybe not.

Hi Catweazle, thanks for the offer to help! In looking at the adjustments allowable, it looks like it should be 'pincushion', but not for the sides, for the top and bottom instead. I couldn't figure out any way to adjust a curve on the bottom of the screen. It curves upward - the top is fine.

I do remember going to a movie theatre that advertised flat screens, and the screen seemed curved to me, so I'm wondering if this is some sort of optical illusion inherent in the flat screen world, and I've simply not become accustomed. I certainly hope it's not though. :)

Here is a link to the .pdf, it's number 3. on this page:

Samsung SyncMaster 753DF manual

You'd think so, Anahita, but perhaps it's the 'Trapezoid' setting that is pulling the bottom of screen out of shape.

On the Menu, select the 'Geometry' function. That's the one which is a cross made from two ellipses. Then select the Trapezoid function, which is denoted by two vertical lines which are closer together at the top.

Minus will widen the bottom of the screen. Plus will widen the top of the screen. Try playing around with those, in combination with the horizontal and vertical size controls, and see if you can starighten the bottom of the display image out.

If not, I'm afraid I'm fresh out of ideas.

Thanks, I've tried the trapezoid setting, and I just did again too, but it only caused distortion. I do appreciate you trying to help. I suppose I'll just learn to live with it looking like this. I didn't pay much for the monitor, and it's infinitely better than what I was using, in fact it's really very nice... except for this small flaw.

I had this trouble too, and found that the trouble was really in my eyeglasses. Unfortunately, there is no pincushion or trapezoid adjustment available there.

i know this is an ages old thread, but here....to save typing, grab this link. i do not think that u have a fault, rather that u are looking down too deeply into ur screen. so u can see the internal curvature of ur display face. the outside of the glass face may be flat, but the inside, where the phosfor is, is curved. re the link, go 1/3 down, to The Flat Thing. the link: http://www.dansdata.com/753df.htm

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.