I have a Gateway MT6706 laptop that will not power up. I was using a replacement Targus AC adapter because the original one shorted out. The new AC adapter seemed to start shorting out as well, but if I held the cord just right, then it'd charge the battery. The cord finally stopped working entirely, so I purchased a new cord. In the meantime, the battery was drained. When I plug in the new AC adapter with the battery in the laptop, a red light flashes on the front of the machine. This is the light that usually pulsates a glowing pink/magenta when the machine is charging. When I pull the battery out and just use the AC adapter, the machine does nothing. I've tested the AC adapter on my HP laptop from work with a different adapter tip and it worked fine with the HP, so I don't think the new AC adapter is bad. Is it possible that there is a problem with the jack on the laptop that you plug the AC adapter into? If so, how bad is that to get fixed? Thanks in advance for any help!