Offices 2007 update started installing on my PC then I had notice cleanup desk the storage size was 1.8 gig the installation could not finish, I have cleanup my desk I can not achieve the normal size yet I can not find the file, I tried antivirus the cleanup desk notice keep coming. Any help?

Have a great day

ggadweb.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

1.8 gigs should not bee too small for updating Office.

You could lower the limit on system restore disk usage.
(My computer/Properties/System restore/settings/Disk space usage)

Chaky,
I did lower the system restore limit like you say everything was working fine
untill today my laptop will not boot.
these are the messages I had: Windows could not stat because the following file is missing or corrupt.
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows statup using the original startup CD-ROM select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
I am not use the first screen repair, the other repair never work.
is there way out to fix this.

Have a great day.
ggadweb.

That tends to happen with XP.
The source of the problem is corrupt registry file "system" (no extension) in "SYSTEM32\CONFIG\".
Usually windows keep several backups of such files. If the recovery is enabled, then the most recent one should be in "System Volume Information" folder on your C: drive. If it is NTFS-formatted, then you will need to give yourself access to that folder in order to manually recover that file. Also, you will need to figure out which file it is, since recovery service renames them (extensions are unchanged). You can use current file's size as a reference to determine which is the one you need, and date-stamps to figure out which one is the most recent.

All you need is to boot via CD (using burned ERD iso image, or alike recovery bootable tools) or USB. In the worst case, you can (if you have more than one partition/hard drive) install temporary Windows and use that copy of windows to boot and recover that "system" file. (long way around, but can be done, if you are out of booting options).

Avoid using "system" file in "C:\WINDOWS\repair" folder, because it most likely to be without any laptop-specific driver information, and could cause you further trouble.

FYI, since it is "system" file in question, then your drivers information will be impacted. Installed software won't.

Don't be surprised if, after you successfuly boot to your original Windows, you get "new hardware found" popups.

That tends to happen with XP.
The source of the problem is corrupt registry file "system" (no extension) in "SYSTEM32\CONFIG\".
Usually windows keep several backups of such files. If the recovery is enabled, then the most recent one should be in "System Volume Information" folder on your C: drive. If it is NTFS-formatted, then you will need to give yourself access to that folder in order to manually recover that file. Also, you will need to figure out which file it is, since recovery service renames them (extensions are unchanged). You can use current file's size as a reference to determine which is the one you need, and date-stamps to figure out which one is the most recent.

All you need is to boot via CD (using burned ERD iso image, or alike recovery bootable tools) or USB. In the worst case, you can (if you have more than one partition/hard drive) install temporary Windows and use that copy of windows to boot and recover that "system" file. (long way around, but can be done, if you are out of booting options).

Avoid using "system" file in "C:\WINDOWS\repair" folder, because it most likely to be without any laptop-specific driver information, and could cause you further trouble.

FYI, since it is "system" file in question, then your drivers information will be impacted. Installed software won't.

Don't be surprised if, after you successfuly boot to your original Windows, you get "new hardware found" popups.

Thanks for your post I am agree with you keep posting

Chaky,

Thanks for your quick response, I follow the steps and see what will happing.

Have a great day.

Thanks guys,

I conected my hard drive to a PC through USB as extenal hard drive and was able to see the patations C,D and E I had on the hard drive.
I could not open E which has the OS after runing registry mechinc and scan desk I was able to acces all information on the drive. I try to scan for virius after the scan was done I can not accse any of the drive I hear a noise on the hard drive any way forward to fix this and how.

Have a great day.

Check Disk Management on the PC you connected the drive to. (My computer/manage)

There you should see all drives and partitions connected and running.
If the drive is OK, it should be on the list. Also, if the drive's Master Boot Record and partition table are OK, you should see 3 partitions + 1 unused diskspace, and format of those partitions.

If all the above checks, then make sure the partitions are mounted (assigned drive letter). Otherwise, they would be invisible to windows explorer, and therefor inaccessible.

Once you have all partitions mounted, it is possible that you will need to change the ownership in order to unlock full access to the drive. If you are using XP Pro, then you should uncheck "use simple file sharing" in folder options. (in Windows explorer click tools/folder options/view). That way you will have detailed view on access, sharing, security, ownership and so on.

What you need to do is rightclick on the partition you want to access and allow full access for "everyone". If you don't see "everyone" on the list, then you must add it. Simplest way is to click "add", then "advanced" and "find now" and select it from the list.

If you are denied to change any security settings, then you might need to take ownership of the partition (advanced/owner).

Bare in mind that each file and folder can have it's own security settings, so if you hit any access barrier, you should check the security settings of the file/folder in question. That especially applies to "System Volume Information" folder, where the backups reside.

And no registry tool is likely to fix corrupt registry file. Believe me, I had my share of corrupt registry files and I never once manage to fix them, other than replace them with backups.

I tryed could see the partation on the main PC can not see any of my drive partation on the extenal drive, no noise when I remove the drive from the caseing.
When I conect to my loptop its say's operating system not found.

Have a great day.

Is the laptop's drive detected at all on main PC?

First yes now no

Look in device manager and see if the drive shows there (under "disk drives"). If it does not, then the problem if of hardware nature (dead drive, or poorly connected), but I'm kind of convinced that AV scan is somehow responsable for this.

If the drive shows there, but no partitions are displayed in dive management, then your partition table is corrupt. It is remotely possible to fix that using chkdsk/fixmbr/fixboot in recovery console. To do so, you need to boot main PC from XP Setup CD and choose recovery console. Even so, it is possible that you wouldn't be able to access USB drive at all (even if it was healthy).
I suggest you prepare so-called "f6 drivers". Those are ones that are loaded via floppy drive (providing you have one) when booting from XP Setup CD and you press f6 for additional drivers, but that is only in case you can't access the drive without them.

In recovery console you will need to type "map" command (no parameters) to see if the drive shows. You will see the list of drives, or only one drive, in which case the USB drive is not accessed, thus not fixable this way.
The output of map command should look something like this:

\Device\HardDisk0\Partition1 (this is your main PC's drive and first partition)
\Device\HardDisk0\Partition2
\Device\HardDisk0\Partition3
\Device\HardDisk1\Partition1 (this would be USB drive)
\Device\HardDisk0\Partition2
\Device\HardDisk0\Partition3

If it shows, then use that displayed info with "fixmbr" using output of "map" command.
Example:
fixmbr \Device\HardDisk2

Worst case scenario (if the drive is not dead) would be losing all data from that drive.

Only other way to get the recovery console running with that drive would be via laptop itself (again, by booting with XP Setup CD), but the problem there would be lack of recovery option. The setup program wouldn't detect installed windows, thus will not give you option to go to recovery console.

Thank you guys.Such a nice information

oh guys .. got a big problem here now..
i got a samsung ide 80gb hard disk in a ide-usb casing.... it was wokring fine.. until a few days ago.. but all of a sudden "the mass storage device" is not being recognized ..
the problem is that i get an error "the usb device malfunctioned"
when i disable the enhanced usb controller.. i can use the hard disk on usb 1.1 speeds.. but thats too slow for all the huge files i have to transfer everyday..

i have tried a few things stated on quite a few forums i have visited today but nothing has helped me....

If you can't use ANY USB device (flash drives, external HDs...) in 2.0 mode, then you should reinstall motherboard drivers.
If that doesn't help, then you have failed USB controller, as in part of the motherboard. Ultimately, you will need to replace the motherboard, but in the meantime you can get one cheap USB PCI card.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.