I am trying to install a new DVD drive in my computer and I wanted to know how would I go about doing this. Do I just put the drive in an open slot and then do all the connections and go on the computer and click on Detect New Hardware...

If someone could give me a step by step process on how to do this it would be great. I have an idea how to go about and do this but I don't want to risk it, since this is something I have never done. Thanks. :)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

First, Shut the computer down and unplug it from the wall. Then remove the PC's cover. Next find a free bay (under or above the cd-rom inplace now) You can have two cd-roms depending on the machine and what other drives you curently have. Open the box the drive came in and take the drive insert it into the free bay after you remove the bay cover. New drives usually come with screws (4?) allign the drive with the screws holes in the case and insert the screws. Then connect your cables. Before this make sure the drive's jumpers are set to either master or slave. If you already have a cd-rom on a cable its probably a master thus you would set the dvd-rom to a slave drive. Same goes if your putting it on a cable with a hard drive. What operating system are you using? XP, 2000, 98, me, etc. If your using 2000 or XP they should probably find the driver for the dvd-rom themselves. You will also want to install the dvd-rom software to play dvds that comes with a new drive. Then put the cover back on the machine and boot it up and make sure the computer sees it and install your DVD software. A new drive should also include a set of instruction more detailed then this and will show you visualy how to install and connect the cables. Let me know how you make out.

First, Shut the computer down and unplug it from the wall. Then remove the PC's cover. Next find a free bay (under or above the cd-rom inplace now) You can have two cd-roms depending on the machine and what other drives you curently have. Open the box the drive came in and take the drive insert it into the free bay after you remove the bay cover. New drives usually come with screws (4?) allign the drive with the screws holes in the case and insert the screws. Then connect your cables. Before this make sure the drive's jumpers are set to either master or slave. If you already have a cd-rom on a cable its probably a master thus you would set the dvd-rom to a slave drive. Same goes if your putting it on a cable with a hard drive. What operating system are you using? XP, 2000, 98, me, etc. If your using 2000 or XP they should probably find the driver for the dvd-rom themselves. You will also want to install the dvd-rom software to play dvds that comes with a new drive. Then put the cover back on the machine and boot it up and make sure the computer sees it and install your DVD software. A new drive should also include a set of instruction more detailed then this and will show you visualy how to install and connect the cables. Let me know how you make out.

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how it works out.

This might sound silly but how do I change the settings from Master to Slave or vice versa, is it done through the BIOS Setup or on the back of the DVD-ROM. I am running a Windows 2000. :o

This might sound silly but how do I change the settings from Master to Slave or vice versa, is it done through the BIOS Setup or on the back of the DVD-ROM. I am running a Windows 2000. :o

There are jumper settings on the back of the DVD drive, look at the top of the drive and there should be a diagram showing you three different jumper settings Master, Slave, and Cable Select. All you need to do is take the plastic jumper (located in back near the power plug) off of its current setting and switch it to the pins that correspond with slave as per the graph on top.

Hope it helps

There are jumper settings on the back of the DVD drive, look at the top of the drive and there should be a diagram showing you three different jumper settings Master, Slave, and Cable Select. All you need to do is take the plastic jumper (located in back near the power plug) off of its current setting and switch it to the pins that correspond with slave as per the graph on top.

Hope it helps

Ayight. Thanks for the help.:cheesy:

Hope it helps

Thanks a lot Buddy!! it really helped me!! i had been looking for somebody to help. And sure you did it!! I visited so many other websites but none could help me!!! Because of ur help i've joined this site.
THanks A lot!!!

go fcuk urself

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.