:( My dell inspirion won't start-up, I just replaced the Cmos battery, and I also bought a new battery[kd476, 85w] If I try to boot with or without the battery, same thing happens. After pressing the power button, the 3 green lts come on but then turn off after a few seconds, nothing appears on the screen nor is their any noise. Seems dead! Any suggestions? Thanks, Debby

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by froggus

The only thing to try is to remove and re-fit the ram and the hard drive. If that has no effect, you will need to take it to a professional.

:( My dell inspirion won't start-up, I just replaced the Cmos battery, and I also bought a new battery[kd476, 85w] If I try to boot with or without the battery, same thing happens. After pressing the power button, the 3 green lts come on but then turn off after a few seconds, nothing appears on the screen nor is their any noise. Seems dead! Any suggestions? Thanks, Debby

try 2 change the power supply or disconect it for about 20 sec and put it back on also try2 put the old battery back in

I tried my son's HP power supply, doesn't turn it on either. I did put the old battery back in, hooked up a monitor to it, still nothing. Besdies the 3 lights that come on for a second when you press the power button, it just seems like the computer is dead. It is only 2 yrs old exactly.
Thanks,
Debby

You should never ever try a power supply from another make of laptop. The voltages, wattages, and pin outs vary greatly.

Just curious, you know how people can order different generic items instead of paying the rediciulous prices for the Brand-name products, I thought if it wasn't compatible then it would not fit. For ex, you can't put a HP battery in a Dell laptop, it just wouldn't fit, but you can order a generic battery and it will fit. Is it just the AC adapter's that can not be generic? I'm trying to learn as much as I can, so thanks for letting me know about the AC Adapter.
Thanks,
Debby

No, sorry, I unfortunately did not.
I tried everything, completely stripped it down, put it all back together and still the problem exists.
So I think it is either the processor or the motherboard.
I was looking at prices for an used processor, but haven't ordered any as of yet. If I didn't already buy the new laptop battery, I definitely would have bought the used processor.
If it is not that, then I have to assume it is the motherboard.
If that were the case, it isn't worth replacing that part. Too expensive, it would be cheaper to buy a new laptop, since the prices have come down so much.
I wish you luck with yours.
Thanks,
Debby

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.