Hi advise neaded please

I bought a cheap laptop for mrs to use and it was running win95 and i wanted at least 98se loading on it.
I went through the procedure of reformatting the hard drive as ive done on numourous occasions with main pc.
The problem is its not letting the windows load onto the laptop and think its down to having interchangable floppy/cd as before when ive done it on pc i have floppy in reading and then cd starts of when neaded.
on laptop i put floppy in and then its aborting as it cant find drives etc then its wanting cd and its not there until i pull floppy out and change with cd device.

Is there anyway round loading the os on it or is it ready for the bin.

Many thanks
paul

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

if you received the manual for the computer check to see if it came installed with a math co-processor,many computers from the win95 erra did not have a math co-processor this will result in an inability to install windows98 or higher as the os needs a math co-processor to function correctly.

Hi advise neaded please

I bought a cheap laptop for mrs to use and it was running win95 and i wanted at least 98se loading on it.
I went through the procedure of reformatting the hard drive as ive done on numourous occasions with main pc.
The problem is its not letting the windows load onto the laptop and think its down to having interchangable floppy/cd as before when ive done it on pc i have floppy in reading and then cd starts of when neaded.
on laptop i put floppy in and then its aborting as it cant find drives etc then its wanting cd and its not there until i pull floppy out and change with cd device.

Is there anyway round loading the os on it or is it ready for the bin.

Many thanks
paul

Hello,

What has probably happened is that there isn't enough ram to run windows 98se.Some computers don't have enough for win98 but they do fine with win95.Try to get your hands on a windows 95 opsystem disc and re-install win 95.Unless you can put some more ram in.You may be able to load win 98 if you load more ram in...good luck,using windows your gonna need it...k

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.