Okay Guys Please help me out wit this

(For those who dont know the whole story go to the old post) AT:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6141-0.html?forumID=8&threadID=96492&messageID=1095726

I No Longer have a Compaq Computer.
Now what i have done is Bought this MSI K7N2 DELTA2 MotherBoard and case.I did buy a new in the box power supply from the Thrift Store, do you think this might be the problem? If so, how can I check to make sure this is working properly? (Even tho i know its not it)
Because the Fan is Running.

Used the same AMD CPU,CD/DVD COMBO,DVDPLAYER,HD 40GB,and the
Now about the Memory it's not SDRAM anymore its DDR and we had bought these 2 items only.

MotherBoard and Memory 512 DDR Generic!

But i have been haveing countless problems...
The Screen will not turn on from its sleep! and also i have got these from (PCClub). Now the 1st MotherBoard i got was Messed up which has been taken back and replaced with the same MotherBoard, but although, the man there used his CPU and Memory on this Board and Video Card and it worked! but when i tryed it here, didnt work, So what do you guys think the problem is?

PICTURES OF THE MOTHERBOARD AND EVERYTHING!
http://www.joinme.net/gcxr/Compaq/index.html
http://pcclub.com/products/detail/A4854897_1.jpg

The Store's Page of the MotherBoard!
http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4854897

512MB DDR400 PC3200 Memory
http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4303393

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

I suspect the first problem we need to overcome is the fact that you haven't actually stated what your problem is.

Is Windows loaded and working? Is the problem simply that when the monitor goes on standby it will not resume?

Please state fully and clearly what is not working correctly on your system.

My Problem is, the screen sleeps.....when its on NOTHING IS INSTALLED NO WINDOWS THIS IS A NEW MOTHERBOARD,
Hard Drive will be KillDisked,Or how you say FDISK,FORMAT C:

But right now the MotherBoard is outside of its case
And this is pluged up to the MotherBoard

1.Video Card
2.CPU
3.HS,FAN
4.Power Supply
5.20-PIN ATX Connecter and 4-PIN

Your problem is that you need to put the motherboard in the case and correctly attach the front panel connectors. The blasted motherboard won't run without the power button and power led correctly attached.

LOL thatz funny, but naw i know how to have the MB turn on without the caseing.

Because all you do is tap the Power SW wit something Metal and turns on

Moving this to 'Troubleshooting dead Machines' section.

I assume you have RAM installed? You haven't stated so. If there's more than one module, and they're different, try it with only one module.

? I have a new one from PCC (www.PCclub.com) a 512 Memory DDR.

WHAT YOU MEAN DEAD THIS IS A NEW MOTHERBOARD!

A 'dead' machine is one which will not POST.

Um......POST? i dont know what your talking about but anyway the screen is the problem here! its sleeping....as in orange LED

If nothing is happening onscreen when you first power up the problem is that your motherboard isn't working. POST refers to Power On Self Test, which is the routine which runs at power up and checks/displays system information.

Hey have you ever though it can be the dang DDR Memory buddy?

it is GENERIC afterall!

LOL.

Nah mate. You seem to be so on top of things there I assumed you'd already checked that possibility and tried it with a different RAM module. After all, that's the only way to really isolate that cause of problem. And I suppose you realise that if it's a RAM problem you'll get the relevent BIOS beep code to let you know.

But then, you haven't got that motherboard in the case with the PC speaker attached so that you can actually HEAR the beeps, so I suppose you've done all that already ;)

NOPE the MotherBoard is not messed up because it was working at PCC (PCclub)the store i bought it from but although he used His Video Card,Power Supply,Memory,and his CPU and Heatsink. so there are no problems with this MotherBoard its gotta be the Memory.....and no my CPU is not messed up because it works on another MotherBoard.

Just because the fan on the power supply is spinning does not mean you are getting the power you need.

That system will need a minimum of 250 watts.. 300 would be better...

Using a used thrift shop power supply is NOT something I would do...

What is the rating on it anyhow...?

The Power Supply Im currently useing is not from the Thirft Store,im useign a P4 Power Supply this one was from another computer that is a P4.

Ok, so the MB was tested and works...

You tested your cpu on another mb and it worked...

You are using a power supply from another P4 that you know works

The only thing left is the ram and the video card (if not onboard)

Try your ram in the other working P4...

Try your video card in the other P4

Try the CPU from the other P4 on your MB with the current config

The Video Card that im useing for it was from a Dell Dimension Desktop XPS T500

And i know that works so i was thinking same as my guess the 512 DDR Memory because i cant test that anyway because i dont have another computer with DDR MotherBoard....only way is to take it to the PPClub and get another Memory?

Is this the problem?

you need to bring your screen outta standby mode (orange light ususaaly means standby). in fact it seems to me that maybe you need to bring your whole computer outta standby.

put your mobo back in the case and make sure its correctly asembled etc. depending on what colour your case lights are (consult your documentation) you may be able to tell if the pc is in standby and how to get out of it. usually you just press the power/standby button on the front of the machine to come out of it.

i have a packard bell P4 1.6ghz (fast enough for me) and im always knocking it into standby. saves the problem of booting from cold.

try what i have said.

Also thong_inspector, i have to agree with you on the power supply wattage. 250 watts is the absolute bare minimum. i would use a 350 watt plus psu..

The Video Card that im useing for it was from a Dell Dimension Desktop XPS T500

And i know that works so i was thinking same as my guess the 512 DDR Memory because i cant test that anyway because i dont have another computer with DDR MotherBoard....only way is to take it to the PPClub and get another Memory?

Is this the problem?

on second glances i think i might have just found your problem buddy. ok you say you are now using a compaq PC and the video card is from a Dell Dimension desktop.

Let me ask you this. Is the video card a DELL card or is it a third party manufacturer card ie nvidea.

could be that your card is incomaptible with your mobo, which would be common if your putting a dell card into a compaq motherboard. if its not a compatibilty issue maybe your cards not seated properly in the slot.

these are only two of the endless list of possibilities:) :twisted:

could be that your card is incomaptible with your mobo, which would be common if your putting a dell card into a compaq motherboard.

Tommyrot!

There's no such thing as 'Dell video cards' and 'Compaq motherboards' to start with. Those components are outsourced and manufactured by other companies!

This brings to mind the AGP v1 and v2 and v3 situation with different volatge requirements... 1.5 vs 3.3 etc...

So is this video card AGP?

Tommyrot!

There's no such thing as 'Dell video cards' and 'Compaq motherboards' to start with. Those components are outsourced and manufactured by other companies!

there may be no such thing as a dell card but compaq do apparently make their own boards. now i asked someone who has been mending computers for a good few years and he said that compaq make their own boards. he may be lying which wouldnt surprise me in the slightest frankly. it could still be a conflict though.

Product Branding is common these days.

If you place a big enough order with a company they will put anyones name on their product.

JVC made monitors of Commodore with all parts labelled as Commodore
Early camcorders were all made by one company and all carried different brand names from GE to RCA etc.

I dont doubt the boards have the Compaq or even the Dell name on them...
I am just offering one possible answer

Product Branding is common these days.

If you place a big enough order with a company they will put anyones name on their product.

JVC made monitors of Commodore with all parts labelled as Commodore
Early camcorders were all made by one company and all carried different brand names from GE to RCA etc.

I dont doubt the boards have the Compaq or even the Dell name on them...
I am just offering one possible answer

thank you. at least it seems like u know where we might be coming from. i do agree with you on the product branding thing. you get it just about anywhere.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.