I have an annoying problem with my monitor. Basically, whenever I turn the computer and monitor on, the display is too stretched and the sides of the screen are not visible. I use the OSD controls to resize the display so that everything fits on the screen correctly, and the display is visible and all is fine. But then I wait a bit, or restart the computer, and the display messes up again, with the sides of the display disappearing, or in some cases, black borders on the sides of the screen being visible. I know this can't be right, does anyone how I can keep the display in its correct form permanently, without having to keep changing the display each time I turn the computer on?
Thanks!:)

Contributors
Replies
Views
13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by eddyday

This is related to the drivers you use. Do you have an Nvidia or ATi video card? Are you using the latest drivers available? Most video card drivers include a control panel to fix the screen as well.

This is related to the drivers you use. Do you have an Nvidia or ATi video card? Are you using the latest drivers available? Most video card drivers include a control panel to fix the screen as well.

Yes, I am using an ATI Radeon 9200 graphics card and I have the latest drivers- I have tried fiddling around with the control panel and it does temporarily fix the problem, until I restart the computer, when the screen messes up again.

So you're saying the ATi control panel works until a restart? And the OSD controls built into the monitor also work until a restart? Puzzling ... are you sure that your monitor supports the resolution you're using?

Yeah- I am running at 1024 x 768, even though the monitor supports higher resolutions.

Could you point to a specific area on the ATI control panel that might fix the problem? I have only tried fiddling with its controls for fixing the size and positioning of the screen- the other options don't seem to be of any use....could I be wrong and missing something?

HAHA fiddling that sounds like a rapest term...sorry just had to mention it

I know, couldn't think of another word :rolleyes:

I have an annoying problem with my monitor. Basically, whenever I turn the computer and monitor on, the display is too stretched and the sides of the screen are not visible. I use the OSD controls to resize the display so that everything fits on the screen correctly, and the display is visible and all is fine. But then I wait a bit, or restart the computer, and the display messes up again, with the sides of the display disappearing, or in some cases, black borders on the sides of the screen being visible. I know this can't be right, does anyone how I can keep the display in its correct form permanently, without having to keep changing the display each time I turn the computer on?

The monitor is supposed to "remember" its settings from session to session; as long as your video card settings are the same, the monitor should keep the settings regardless of video card drivers. The fact that it's not means one of two things:

* The monitor needs to be explicitly forced to remember its settings -- a "memory" or "set" button, for example. This is rare in modern monitors. Or:

* What seems more likely is that the memory chip -- flash or EEPROM (electrically-eraseable programmable read-only memory) is defective and can't hold the settings.

What brand/model of monitor are we talking about?

Its an older monitor- a Dell D1028lr

That's a Sony-made monitor. Likely the memory chip is blown out, or a power supply problem can cause this (missing re-write voltage). Time for a replacement. These days, a used monitor is usually cheaper than a repair -- one reason why I no longer fix monitors for a living...

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.