Hello.

I have a Toshiba Satellite 2450-S402 (Pentium 4 1.6GHz).
Today, I accidently spilt a glass of coke all over it (bad idea...yep!) and managed to mop most of it up. I removed the keyboard and dried all underneath it, and took off every compartment I could, most were dry but managed to dry everything.

Now when I try to turn it on, I get the 'plugged into mains' symbol flashing - and I cannot turn it on.
Any ideas of what I should do?

I didn't buy it in this country so it definitely won't be covered here...

Many thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hello.

Today, I accidently spilt a glass of coke all over it (bad idea...yep!) and managed to mop most of it up. I removed the keyboard and dried all underneath it, and took off every compartment I could, most were dry but managed to dry everything.

Now when I try to turn it on, I get the 'plugged into mains' symbol flashing - and I cannot turn it on.

Many thanks.

sounds like the motherboard and the power supply have both become wet. drinks and computers dont mix and when you have spilt your drink on one the best thing to do in the short term is open it up and turn it upside down and put it on the shelf of an airing cupboard and leave to dry out for a couple of weeks. if this doesnt work take it to an engineer. usually it works for me:)

Hello.

Many thanks.

Hello, I have the same problem. Went back to the shop & it will cost me 1000 euros. So, didn't do that ;)

Now, I'm trying to open my laptop, and I removed 30 screws but there is still some resistance. I don't know if I have to force it or not. I just want to clean it inside, and if necessary, find some second-hand spare parts.

Does someone have experience with this, or is there a good site with more info?

Hello, I have the same problem. Went back to the shop & it will cost me 1000 euros. So, didn't do that ;)

Now, I'm trying to open my laptop, and I removed 30 screws but there is still some resistance. I don't know if I have to force it or not. I just want to clean it inside, and if necessary, find some second-hand spare parts.

Does someone have experience with this, or is there a good site with more info?

u might have to GENTLY prise it open. anyways have either of you done what i suggested before. try it, it might work:twisted:

Hello Janine,

In another thread on another site I got the advice to first remove the keyboard as described in the manual, and then there are some screws to remove too. I did this, and it seems that only the keyboard had a shower.

This accident happened 4 months ago. This is my aunt's notebook. She bought a new one, I got the fried one. So it's too late keeping it upside down for a couple of weeks.

I just wonder what behaviour my laptop should have if only the keyboard is lost.

Hello Janine,

In another thread on another site I got the advice to first remove the keyboard as described in the manual, and then there are some screws to remove too. I did this, and it seems that only the keyboard had a shower.

This accident happened 4 months ago. This is my aunt's notebook. She bought a new one, I got the fried one. So it's too late keeping it upside down for a couple of weeks.

I just wonder what behaviour my laptop should have if only the keyboard is lost.

well without the keyboard your lappy is as good as unfunctional. how else will you input data?;) 4 months seems a long time to leave it and you'll probably find that its got completely stuck up. go and get yourself a nice new one... probably cost you less then the cost of repairs.

personally i wouldn't just say its the keyboard that got showered and that liquid got right inside the workings;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.