Great site, new member here and first post!
Gericom Overd.2 PIII 800mhz laptop came to me with a loose power supply pin connector, so no power, battery dead too. De-soldiered connector then re-soldierd connector back onto mainboard. Laptop powers up fine now, only to develop what seems to be a overheating problem as it freezez and locks up after the first couple of minutes of power-up.
This happens even in the bios/cmos setup screen. Tested memory, fan working, heatsink cleaned, new thermal pad, cleared cmos via disconnecting battery, detached hard drive, re-seated processor, cleaned mainboard with commpresed air but Still no joy. Ive been up all night and the night before and now have great big bags under me eyes and the mrs not too pleased, bit disappointed!
The only thing else I can think of is maybe the power adaptor that came with the laptop, rated as DC OUTPUT= 20v - 3.00a. The markings on the bottom of laptop (battery) are: DC 11.1V 4800mAH. There is no other power rating on the laptop besides the battery. Can this extra DC output from the adaptor cause the laptop to overheat? Is it an incorrect power supply?
Respect to all who read and reply and any suggestions tips or pointers would be highly appreciated!