hen I play gamne my computer is turning itself off. I have virus checked spyware checked and had someone look over my hi-jack this log and found nothing, but when i opened up my computer after it happened yesterday i fealt my graphics card and it was hot to the touch. Therefore i am presuming that this is the problem.

So what can be done. As a temporary solution i have a house fan running into the back of my computer hoping that this will cure it but this is obviously far from ideal(and really isn't working). Is it a case of chucking an extra fan into my computer or has a heat sink died on my graphics card.

I was vaguely thinking about upgrading my current card(ati radeon 9800) to one of the new ultra bling ati x850 would this cure my gremlins and do any of them come with a built in fan?? which one would you reccomend?

cheers

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Many of the higher-end vid cards do come with a fan, or least a heavy-duty heat-sink, but you have to check the specs of the exact models and versions to be sure if that's the case. Alternately, a quick Google search should turn up some links to cooling solutions for your current card.

Many of the higher-end vid cards do come with a fan, or least a heavy-duty heat-sink, but you have to check the specs of the exact models and versions to be sure if that's the case. Alternately, a quick Google search should turn up some links to cooling solutions for your current card.

a cheaper alternative is a pci slot fan fitted right under your graphics card. that is if a overheating gpu is your problem.

Are you sure it is the graphic card?a graphic card usually can handle up to 100 degree C.
can it be other hardwares?
anyway,if you think it is overheating problem,you can buy a air con like hardware to cool it down,there are a bunch in ebay in extream low price.

Are you sure it is the graphic card?a graphic card usually can handle up to 100 degree C.
can it be other hardwares?
anyway,if you think it is overheating problem,you can buy a air con like hardware to cool it down,there are a bunch in ebay in extream low price.

Yeah i agree i think he should download motherboard moniter and see how hot your processor is getting. Then run hot under load. try that first before you buy things ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.