Hey everyone....I was if you guys could compare the 2 notebook systems below. I know that one has more graphics power but the other has more cpu power, so as you can see this is not as simply as choosing between AMD and Intel. Any tips, recommandations or advice would be more than welcomed.

AMD
Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2
Processor AMD Athlon(TM) 64 4000+ (2.4GHz/1MB l2 Cache)
Display FREE Upgrade to 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen!!
Graphics Card 128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)
Memory 1.0GB DDR SDRAM (2x512MB)
Hard Drive 80 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
Primary CD/DVD Drive LightScribe 8x DVD+/-RW & CD-RW Combo Drive
Networking Integrated 56K Modem + 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Primary Battery 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

Intel
Operating System Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Home Edition with SP2
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 640 w/HT Technology, 3.2GHz
Display 17.0" WSXGA+ BrightView Wide Viewing (1680x1050)
Memory 1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM, 533MHz (2x512MB)
Hard Drive 80 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
Primary CD/DVD Drive LightScribe 8x DVD+/-RW & CD-RW Combo Drive
Graphics Card 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) X600
Networking Integrated 56K Modem + 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Primary Battery 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

What do you want to use the notebook for?

The notebook would be used mostly for video editing along with some gaming and minor graphics design.

From what I can gather the display circuitry in those systems is much of a muchness. Low end 3D graphics!

I reckon I'd grab the AMD system if the prices are comparable.

I forgot to say that the notebook will be also be used for basic office use, web surfing and listening to music, but then again i would think that would matter once you go over anthlon 2600+ or p4 2.8GH.......would it??

the amd system is cheaper by at least $200 American.......

And more capable I'd suspect ;)

Wrong! Intel is much more capable in terms of Video, Audio or any other encoding. The 640 also has 2mb of L2 cache and the DDR2 memory should help. Check the benchmarks, the 640 is on top of the 4000+. And as for gaming, sure the AMD is better but if you dont have a resonable video card, its worth nothing. I would definitely pay 200$ more for the extra stuff for your purpose of use.

EDIT: hmmm I just realised I thought for a sec that the 640 was 3.4ghz. The 4000+ is actually a little better than the 3.2 for editing but not much.

My bad. didn't realise the 640 was a 2Mb cache chip

oops :)

My bad. didn't realise the 640 was a 2Mb cache chip

oops :)

We all make errors!! I just made one check my edit. lol

I would still go for the intel. Video card and screen would be a big deal for me.

I'm not having a good night here at all. I thought the video card was an X300 :(

Yes, I'd go along with that. The slightly better video and bigger display would tip my choice also.

Go with system 2 INTEL Here the reasons
1. Faster ram 5200 533mhz
2. better video card 256MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) X600
3. Bigger L2 cache 2.0mb plus
4. Intel® Extended Memory 64 TechnologyΦ
5. Bigger lcd display
6. LightScribe Label comeout nice hard to find disks Still
Intel is faster in encoding video, will need faster harddrive 5200rpm can't say 7200rpm drain battery to fast.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.