Hello, I have a Acer Aspire 5920 that currently has a 15.4" display, which has very low contrast and and low resolution(1280x800). I just recently had my old 17" Toshiba crap out on me, and it has a absolutely gorgeous screen, high contrast and the resolution is (1440x900).

Now what in trying to do is to replace my Acer's 15.4" LCD with the 17" from my old Toshiba. Now before I get bashed saying it cant be done, I have already experimented with it, with very pleasing results. The Acer's inverter powered the back lights just fine, and when I booted up into my OS it immediately recognized the new screen and adjusted my resolution accordingly. I am also able to interface with the new LCD's brightness and contrast settings just fine. But the one problem I am having is this, I have black vertical lines on the screen. although the image seems to be attempting to display correctly. These lines are not random, I actually examined the screen under a magnifying glass, and what is happening is one row of pixels is showing an image and the next row is blank, and that pattern is consistent across the entire panel. I Will attach some pics to try and show you, but they were taken with my cellphone and while they do show the problem, they dont show it very well.

The Screen is displaying the image like this ( Dashes are active pixels and X's are blank pixels)

-X-X-X-X-X-X (this pattern is constant across the entire display)
-X-X-X-X-X-X
-X-X-x-X-X-X
-X-X-X-X-X-X

I have noticed that while the two laptops have the save connector, they are each wired slightly differently, I will try to add pics of the differences when my girlfriend is done commandeering my laptop to watch Star trek, lol.

The 17" Panel is a (LG.Phillips LP171WX2) I will post the Manufacturer and Model of the Acer in a few hours when I can dissemble it again. but for now here is a link to a replacement screen, HERE

By the way, the green lines on the last picture are not a problem, they are just there because the wallpaper was not set for the larger display, so it just shows a solid color on either side.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

ok, I have found that the Acer uses a WXGA LCD while the 17" taken from the Toshiba is WSXGA+. This may explain the vertical lines on the screen. A Google search found that WSXGA+ has a wider viewing angle and indeed the 17" panel is wider. I also found that the Acer's LCD connector has 18 wires, While the The Toshiba's WSXGA+ LCD Connector has 22 wires. I have read that you can drive a WSXGA+ LCD on a laptop that comes with a WXGA LCD, but you must do one of the following.

A) Find a WSXGA+ cable that will fit the laptop in question(I have looked and cannot find one for my laptop)

B) Re-wire Your WXGA cable(but this involves a wiring diagram of the LCD panel in question and the Laptops LCD output, which I can also not find either of these.)

Please help this would be really nice, especially considering I have also discovered that the 17" Panel has a 60Hz refresh rate versus the 15.4"'s 50Hz.

Hello,

Do you not think this looks a little messy? You have done a pretty good job getting it working but could you not have spent your time repairing the other laptop?

If you were after a better screen you would have been better hooking it up to a TV, I would want to use a laptop in that state.

Anyway, perhaps someone knows how to solve your problem but you may have been better sorting out the other laptop as opposed to adding this oversized screen.

Hello,

Do you not think this looks a little messy? You have done a pretty good job getting it working but could you not have spent your time repairing the other laptop?

If you were after a better screen you would have been better hooking it up to a TV, I would want to use a laptop in that state.

Anyway, perhaps someone knows how to solve your problem but you may have been better sorting out the other laptop as opposed to adding this oversized screen.

Well actually I have fixed the other laptop many many times before. It may have had a gorgeous LCD, and even a Harmon/Kardon speaker system, but quite frankly it was a POS, it was slow as dirt. And as far as the modification being messy, I have the tools at my disposal to fix that problem ;) But first I have to get it working properly.

BUMP.....Anyone?

Hello,
Did you get any joy with this? I decided to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 1564 from a 720p screen to a 1080p screen, all came on OK as the connectors on the back of the screen appeared to be the same, however the screen was alot brighter and like your problem above every other line just had the pixel on.
I have attached some images of how the screen looks powered on.
Does it need a different connector?
The original screen model was by AU Optronics model B156XW02 with connector UM6 LCD Cable DD0UM6LC002
the new screen model is also by AU optronics model number B156HW01 V.5
I hope someone can help

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.