My old 17" CRT's monitor image was crisp and clear. I decide to upgrade to a 17" LDC monitor. I checked out a monitor in the store, liked the image it displayed and bought it. When I hooked it up to my computer at home, the image shown on the monitor is fuzzier and not as crisp as it's display in the store was. I returned it and bought a different brand name. Hooked this new one up to my computer, and the results are still the same, the text images arent as clear and crisp as it showed in the store, and isnt as clear as my old CRT monitor.
I even went as far as upgrading my video card thinking that it's old technology couldnt produce a clear image on the monitor. That didnt even help, the image still shows up fuzzy. I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out why these monitors arent showing clear images when hooked up to my computer.
Any ideas??? Thanks in advance!

~Cherie

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

you using the monitors drivers or general windows stock?

maybe there's some nearby device causing interference to the lcd, although i've never heard of anything that would...

then again, i've never used an lcd on my machine and its always been crystal on other boxes...

my moms does the exact same thing it happend when she got a new computer and kept the old lcd monitor now it is fuzzy

I am using the monitor's drivers. I've played around with all of it's settings (contrast, brightness adjustments..etc..)and the text still looks fuzzy. I've even tried using different Mhz.
Still puzzled....

you using the monitors drivers or general windows stock?

maybe there's some nearby device causing interference to the lcd, although i've never heard of anything that would...

then again, i've never used an lcd on my machine and its always been crystal on other boxes...

Cheri and everyone else,

There is an excellent guide to tuning your LCD problems at this site (I hope linking is allowed): http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,124858,pg,1,00.asp. I had this problem 2 years ago, and I found ClearType fonts. Basically, the problem you are most likely having is software related - Windows is trying to smooth the fonts you have specifically for a CRT. If you tell Windows to smooth the fonts using ClearType, it will INCREDIBLY improve your LCD's picture.

In order to change to ClearType fonts, go to your Display settings in Control Panel. In XP, select the Appearance tab, press the effects buttons, check the check mark next to "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts:" and select "ClearType" from the drop down box below that. Hit OK, and watch the amazing transformation of the text on your screen. Literally, if all of your text is blurry, this will clear it up 90% of the time. Otherwise, refer to the article above.

I hate that I had to register with this site just to post this, but since I was trying to remember how to fix this problem, and I came upon this thread from Google, I figured I'd share. Have fun with your new LCD's.

Joe

My old 17" CRT's monitor image was crisp and clear. I decide to upgrade to a 17" LDC monitor. I checked out a monitor in the store, liked the image it displayed and bought it. When I hooked it up to my computer at home, the image shown on the monitor is fuzzier and not as crisp as it's display in the store was. I returned it and bought a different brand name. Hooked this new one up to my computer, and the results are still the same, the text images arent as clear and crisp as it showed in the store, and isnt as clear as my old CRT monitor.
I even went as far as upgrading my video card thinking that it's old technology couldnt produce a clear image on the monitor. That didnt even help, the image still shows up fuzzy. I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out why these monitors arent showing clear images when hooked up to my computer.
Any ideas??? Thanks in advance!

~Cherie

whenever i scroll down on the computer its as almost as if water is disturbed. also, the writing on the screen is a tiny bit fuzzy, therefore it comes hard on the eyes

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.