Any ideas on this one chaps, trying to get pics from friends hard drive onto mine.
Fujitsu hard drive, set as slave, connected to my PC after disconnecting my slave drive.
My PC will not boot when attached,but when pressing f8 I can start windows normally.PC will not recognizedrive as being attached..
Put hard drive in freezer for 3-4 hours,and it now spins, I can connect it and I can hear it happily spinning but same problems, when I try to 'Add hardware; my pc just crashes and tries to restart.

Any ideas ?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Your main Hard Drive needs to be set as 'Master'... and i know on my hard drive, which is Western Digital, there are 2 different ways of having the jumper settings when on master: One is Master or Single, meaning there is no slave present, which there is no need to have a jumper setting. But then, when I have a slave present, there is a Master when there is a slave.........in which case the jumper setting would be in the middle... but you need to look at the jumper settings key on the hard drive, or the picture that shows you where to have the jumper setting.....

I have the jumpers correct, I have a slave drive 24/7, when I unplug mine and connect his it does'nt detect it.
One bonus is, when I try to 'Add hardware' it does'nt crash, but still does not detect it. I tried it in his and in the Bios, set it to auto detect....no joy.In the start-up where it says MASTER, it says non present.
Tried it in my other PC and have exactly the same problems.

Given everything you've described and tried, it sounds like the drive's electronics have failed. :(

However, you never said what the specific problem was that caused you to take the drive out of your friends computer in the first place. Was it originally doing the same sorts of things in his computer?

Yes it was DMR, will not boot up or anything.As I said, he just wanted some pics off it as he's bought a new PC.With it not booting up, I thought I could just connect it to mine and transfer them.
Just downloaded a program called Knoppix, ain't tried it as yet but thought I'd give it a go. I've got his old PC with me so will try it tomorrow....not expecting anything tho.

Would like to add, this is a really 'friendly' forum, and very useful. Really appreciate the help I've been given...Thanks.

Just downloaded a program called Knoppix, ain't tried it as yet but thought I'd give it a go.

That might work; I've used the Knoppix CD to sucessfully rescue data from terribly corrupt Windows drives more than a few times. However, if the drive has low-level electronic or mechanical problems, there's a pretty good chance that no operating system is going to be able to access it. Definitely worth a try though.

Would like to add, this is a really 'friendly' forum, and very useful. Really appreciate the help I've been given...Thanks.

Thank you, santfekuss. Our members really do work pretty hard to help others and make everyone feel welcome here; it's always good to hear that are efforts are appreciated. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.