sunandoghosh 4 Junior Poster in Training

Laptop substitute - indigeneous idea...!!!

Hi everyone,

I always wanted a laptop but still till date it seems there will never ever be a situation where i will purchase one with the configurations i want...(2 GB RAM; atleast 80 GB HDD; etc etc)...as budget for laptop that i desire will run in almost two thousand dollars...

Now I am thinking of an alternative and need to know what u people think about it...???

MY SITUATION:

I travel say to a different city and stay there for say 1-2 months...then again move to a different place and so on...this essentially means that I am mobile but staying at different locations for longer periods...

WHAT I AM THINKING:

I need basically a computer system when I am say in city A for 1 month and again in city B for say 2 months like this...its NOT that i need it while travelling in train/ air for that day...

SO what if i purchase say.....

A. a FLAT MONITOR (may be 15" or 17") along with

B. APC 500 VA UPS (which acts as laptop battery for me) and

C. The smalllest available cabinet (CPU Box) so that I can put 2 GB RAM; Intel Motherboard; P4 3.2 Ghz; CD/DVD writer; 1 or if possible 2 HDD and say antec smps...

I am thinking (correct me if i am wrong) that this way:

Cabinet (with everything inside) + Flat Monitor + UPS (smallest) can act as my laptop at different locations....

Cabinet + Flat Monitor + UPS = One suitcase = Virtual Laptop

I understand that obvious disadvantage is that I cannot use it while travelling thats when on move but only at different prolonged staying locations...

MY QUESTIONS TO YOU KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE:

Q1. How far is my idea feasible / practical / implementable / insane / sane....?????

Q2. What are potential risks / problems/ difficulties I may face....????????

(apart from not being able to use while on move)

Q3. Is there any modification/ refinement/ alternative to above idea where I can have best configurations like i stated above at minimum cost...????

I would seriously urge that anyone and everyone to please reply to this concept of mine as to how far is it implementable and is it worth it....??????????

You may add/ suggest/ criticise or for that matter put forth whatever u feel is ur reaction to above idea...

thanks again for ur time and patience....

thanks again...

best and warmest regards,

sunando

sunandoghosh at rediffmail dot com

p.s. IN case u feel i should go ahead with the idea please say me which company's cabinet box is SMALLEST and BEST and can accommodate Intel 915 motherboard for above configurations that i desire....THANKS SO MUCH MUCH FRIENDS.....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.