Last night I was installing my amd athlon 64 3700+ to my ASUS K8VSE Deluxe mobo and my mobo starting giving me an audio error: system failed cpu test. So I removed the cpu and tried booting up and the mobo said "no cpu installed" . I assume that the mobo is ok since it is recognizing the cpu and the lack of the cpu. I am running a 350w power supply but it only pumps max 16amps on the 12+ rail. Is my PSU the problem or is it a bad CPU?

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Last night I was installing my amd athlon 64 3700+ to my ASUS K8VSE Deluxe mobo and my mobo starting giving me an audio error: system failed cpu test. So I removed the cpu and tried booting up and the mobo said "no cpu installed" . I assume that the mobo is ok since it is recognizing the cpu and the lack of the cpu. I am running a 350w power supply but it only pumps max 16amps on the 12+ rail. Is my PSU the problem or is it a bad CPU?

None of the above, your cpu is probably fine, you ll have to flash your bios.
Had the same problem, so don,t worry. :cheesy:

In spite of my filing off the metal bracket I also get the system failed cpu test again and again, so that,s no option for me too.
Shhhhit.
So I,m not there yet either.
Did you buy a new cpu?
I use a 400 watt PSU and I got another system running on that, an Intel 3 Ghz on a Gigabyte board.
But this one...
I,ll keep searching :cry:

I suppose it is a new system you are building. It happened to me when building my system. I also had a message like "system failed due to cpu overclocking" but never OCed it. I tried to boot from my dvd-rom with a winXP cd and it worked but only after a couple of reboots. I'm not sure how else I could have done it but it worked when I did it.

I myself am still having problems, but I,ve noticed that one of the transistors ( or other name) on the board, the things with the + marks on them looks a bit bloated as the others are completely flat.
This was very difficult to see, how does yours look? :rolleyes:
I,ve tried everything else and I now think that could be the problem, so a MOBO problem.
Can you tell me if you find something like that?

That should be enough I think I,ve got a 400 watt PSU to be completely on the safe side.
Do you have several harddisks and 2 cd rom,s dvd etc?

What cpu did you use before this one?

Have you tried resetting CMOS and trying again?

Have you tried resetting CMOS and trying again?

Yeah, been there done that, and almost everything else.
Because I did not know what to do anymore I contacted Asus and now I found out that my memory CMX512RE-3200LL doesn,t agree with my board SK8V ( Asus), that was a bit strange to hear since on the site of Corsair this board was among the boards I could use!!
I can tell you , major bummer!
So now I am at the deep end of the well and wondering how to get out.
Maybe a new bioschip is an solution since there,s no way I can access the bios myself.
:cry:
Has somebody got a solution for this problem?, I don,t want to buy other memory.!

I would check out the PSU first, seems a bit on the low side.(amps)

If motherboard and RAM are incompatible, then there's not much else to do, I'm afraid. Corsair have pretty good warranty. If they've claimed the RAM is suitable for a specific motherboard when in fact it's not, I'd contact them. I'd be expecting to have it exchanged for something suitable.

Nit sure about your local laws, but under Australian law that RAM would HAVE to be exchanged on the basis that is not suitable for the purpose it was sold for. Here, the vendor would be responsible.

"I myself am still having problems, but I,ve noticed that one of the transistors ( or other name) on the board, the things with the + marks on them looks a bit bloated as the others are completely flat."

That sounds like a bad eletrolytic capacitor.

If motherboard and RAM are incompatible, then there's not much else to do, I'm afraid. Corsair have pretty good warranty. If they've claimed the RAM is suitable for a specific motherboard when in fact it's not, I'd contact them. I'd be expecting to have it exchanged for something suitable.

Nit sure about your local laws, but under Australian law that RAM would HAVE to be exchanged on the basis that is not suitable for the purpose it was sold for. Here, the vendor would be responsible.

I did as you said and explained the problem to them, first I got a note back with usable settings for the memory but when I did send them an additional email in which I said that I could not get in the bios ,they replied with an offer to exchange the memory for usable ones.
So I filled in a form and next day I got the address to send it too.
Now the memory is on the way!
I will receive it asap as my shipping arrives!
:) :) :) :) :)

"I myself am still having problems, but I,ve noticed that one of the transistors ( or other name) on the board, the things with the + marks on them looks a bit bloated as the others are completely flat."

That sounds like a bad eletrolytic capacitor.

Ive already exchanged it for a new one, but still got the dreaded ""system failed cpu test""
It has turned out that my memory is the X factor, my board can,t cope
with the low latency modules I,ve got :eek:

Pleased to hear that Corsair have decided to look after you. Even if that rAM is replaced with modules that aren't quite as good, it's better to have RAM that works than RAM which doesn't.

Please let us know what you get in exchange and how you get on with it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.