Is overclocking is safe on R9800pro & is it realy make difference in gaming?
I m going to overclock my MSI Radeon 9800pro (just bought 4 days ago) bcoz i m not getting good performance from it. What r the advantages and disadvantages of overclocking. From where can i get the bios of Radeon XT to overclock it into my 9800pro.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Umm dont overclock it, overclocking can result in performance increases but it can also fry your card. Buy more system memory or mb you do not have the processing speed for the games. But in my experience Ati=crap, buy a BFG Nvidia card like a 6800 or if you have the money and the pci-e slot buy a 7800GTx, most BFG nvidia cards come overclocked out of the box. Notice that i am recommending BFG nvidia, nvidia products are sold by many companies but not all of them are that great, I like BFG the best there are also other companies that are pretty good i think Digitek is also good.

Hello,

It has been my experience in the business world that the nVidia drivers are quirky and unreliable, whereas the ATI materials have been stable and trustworthy. I have seen a lot of nVidia cards cause some monitor problems, and unstable graphics. The business environment that I am referring to comes from publishing and CAD applications

Now, as a gamer, you might see that nVidia comes out with a new device that is fast and cool. Cutting edge drivers and everything. IF that works, great. But you will also find that ATI comes out with a new card that has similar capabilities, and a more stable environment.

Christian

Well we could argue on for days about the pros and cons of each, but mainly i will just say that overclocking is the not the best solution to getting more power.

Hello,

It has been my experience in the business world that the nVidia drivers are quirky and unreliable, whereas the ATI materials have been stable and trustworthy. I have seen a lot of nVidia cards cause some monitor problems, and unstable graphics. The business environment that I am referring to comes from publishing and CAD applications

My personal experience with these brands is almost diametrically opposed to yours :)
Unstable (to the point of rendering the card inoperative until the driver is replaced) ATI drivers and rock solid NVidia drivers.
Of course if you go out and install leaked and tweaked beta drivers (which many people seem to do because they promise higher framerates) you're on your own, but I've experienced situations in which there was NO release driver for an ATI card that worked.

Worst situation: An ATI card for which the release driver failed to put the card into any graphics mode (do they test those things?).
The only driver that did work was a beta driver for a completely different chipset (beats me, but it worked).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.