My Problem: Computer occasionally turns self off in games (such as warcraft 3, neverwinter nights) We think it is something to do with too much power usage by the graphics card in rendering, we suspect the graphics card because the computer never turns it off normally, it only happens (that i have tried) in games.

My Specs (direct from dx diag):

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: VIA
System Model: P4VX4
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
Memory: 1536MB RAM
Page File: 210MB used, 3224MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce FX 5200
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Default Monitor
Monitor Max Res:
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6693 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/29/2004 16:50:00, 3736704 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 10/29/2004 16:50:00, 2826944 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4062-11CF-9579-0A2000C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0322
SubSys ID: 0x00000000
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Revision ID: 0x00A1
Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_B ModeMPEG2_C ModeMPEG2_D

Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Enabled
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

You dont need sound specs i dont think. Plz help me we've had this problem for ages

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

What kind of power supply unit do you have in there? Wattage? You will probably have to take off the side of your case (possibly voiding any warranty left) and look at the sticker(s) on the side of it.

Tell us the wattage and we can tell you if thats the problem.

I use a 400watt with my P4 and 5900FX card, 2cdroms, 4hdd. I had the same setup before with dual athlons instead, but 400 wasn't enough for it once I added the FX card.

330 w max output

I get the same problem with the FX 5200. I have a 350w right now. Does this card really need more than 350w??

I am also having problems with a 5200 ultra. I just upgraded from a ti 4200 and the windows (XP) welcome screen fades out I hear the windows starting audio but the screen remains black. My ps is a 300 watt, although Ive ordered a new case with a 450 watt power supply Ill post if this fixes the problem. If that dosent work my guess is either the main board or the video card itself

I suspect this may be a power supply unit problem, but I doubt very much that it relates to wattage. 350W should be fine unless there are heaps of drives and other components installed.

The problem will most likely be that it's a cheap, generic power unit, which doesn't provide reliable and stable voltage and wattage levels.

More expensive power supply units from reputable manufacturers such as Antec, Thermaltake, OCZ, Zalman and the like are far, far better to use, and a worthwhile investment. Remember, if a 'cheap' power unit blows, it can take thinks like motherboard, processor, video card and others down along with it!

This could also be a RAM problem. With 1536Mb of RAM installed, there's obviously 2 or more modules installed. If they are different brands and mosels, there could be a conflict between them, especially if any of it is again 'cheap, generic' stuff. Try different RAM configurations:

If you have 3x512Mb, and two of them are identical, try using only those two.
If all are different, try using only one at a time.

etc..

Isolate the problem if it exists. You do not NEED that much RAM for games!

It could also be a software problem. The only real way to establish that the problem exists in hardware is to format, reinstall using the latest device drivers, and load the games again. Give them a good workout on a clean and fresh system. If the problem persists it is definitely a hardware matter.

i have a 300w aopen power supply that came with my case.
My system is running 4 hdd's 3 optical devices. I have a tnt2 and a fx5200. NO problems with power supply/ rebooting etc. prob a problem elsewhere?

I have a tnt2 and a fx5200

I'm pretty interested in that bit. You never mentioned a TNT2 card earlier . Are both cards installed? If so, why?

ooops.......

My mistake.

no probs, tho has the issue in this thred been solved?

System Specification:

Intel 865GBF
Intel Pentium PIV 3GHZ
512MB DDR
MSI GeForce Nvidia FX5200 TD128
80GB Seagate SATA
Samsung Samtron 15inch Monitor

Hi,

I connect my PC to TV through S-Video (MSI GeForce Nvidia FX5200 TD128).When watching movies, sometime (now more often) the signal to the Monitor and TV goes-off. But the CPU is still on. i.e. I can hear the movie audio in the home theatre But there is no signal to my Monitor and TV. My monitor just blinks...

Once I get this problem for the first time then it keeps on coming...
Dont know what exactly th probelm is...

In order to understand the problem...

• Removed Norton antivirus corporate edition 7 ... still it happens
  • Removed Windows XP SP2... still it happens
  • Tried all Nvidia drivers from the origianal site... still it happens
  • Tried even Nvidia driver WHQL passed... still it happens

I read from a site if the refresh rate between the monitor and the tv doesnt match... problem like this may happen... Even I tried that... setting the refresh rate both Monitor and Card to 60Hertz. But still it happens...

So please someone help me or guide me what to do to rectify this... and enjoy my DVDs watching uniterrupted...

Thanks in advance...

Cheers,
John

I´ve changed my grafic card mmx440 to a Fx5200, when warcraft run with mx440 everything is fine but when it run with Fx5200 the system turns off about 10 minutes after start to play.It could be a software problem? It could be a warcraft not compatible fx5200 problem?
Athlon xp 1800+
40g hd
768 ram
450w "cheap" power suplly
fx5200 or mmx440 (no bug)

ps. All video card drivers and Xp updates were done.

Little late on this judging from the dates but will throw in any way since I just joined the site.

I also had the problem when in high graphic games my 5200 would shut down my PC, and I also thought it was a Power problem. Ran test for quite a while trying to pin point it and finally found that if I removed my side case and placed a house fan on my PC my shut down problems would go away. Solution for me was to purchase a new case with better ventalation and more fans for cooling. Anyway, I kept that house fan on the PC until I had the new case and was never had anymore shutdown problems.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.