rocru 0 Newbie Poster

Hey all, first timer - my background, 10 years NetAdmin (BS in Information Technologies and Info Systems Security Certification).

Scenario: trying to conserver power throughout my home - installing pci fax/modem (PFM) and removing Dell AIO962. I have the PFM installed in an Dell Optiplex GX110 XPSP3 it worked without issue. So then, I developed a Dell Optiplex GX270 to be the fax/modem because I wanted to run vmWare (Windows Server Instances) to run an internal website for testing changes and ideas for a business. However, I have taken a Known Good PFM from the GX110 and installed in the GX270 - no recognition. I tried all four PCI slots - no recognition. I even placed a known good LAN card into two of the slots - no recognition. Thing that throws a loop, when I plug incoming rj11 line into the wall port, phone into the phone port, I can make/receive calls.

Two questions then: 1. ideas on why pci slots are inactive or no recognizing? and 2. why does an inactive card allow pass through communication? <- because it's analog signal?

Thanks, help, and appreciation!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.