Hi folks,

Just bot an old G4 power PC dual processor - 1 GB each.
This might be the mirror door.

It was working for a while, but now I'm getting the "panic- were hanging in
there" message at start up.
I tried everything
BUT now it looks to me like the little fan next to the processor
cooling fins is NOT rotating. I am guessing this might be worth
investigating further.
So I need help with how to take the next step.
Looks like I have to remove the fins to get to the fan?
Looks like the fins are clipped on with two clips?
Should I proceed and take them off?
Are they glued on as well? How do I deal with the glue?
I don't see where the wire is that runs to the fan either - maybe its just a loose
connection?

Any ideas appreciated-

I don't think it is software related because I have 3 hard drives all with boot-able 10.3 or OS9.2 systems on them and none of them are allowing a boot up.
I did get a boot up to normal just after I disconnected the CD/DVD rom drive because the drive was from another earlier 450hz G4, but then next time I arrived back to panic again.
thx

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Without the CPU fan running ,the CPU is overheating and not allowing you to boot. If the fan wire is disconnected, connect it. As far as removing the fan+heatsink, go ahead. A tiny tube of the special heat resisting gunk for the processor is only a few dollars.
However,that is not the obvious problem alone if your computer is not only NOT booting but NOT shutting itself off from overheating. Your hardware CMOS is out of sync. To reset the CMOS to factory defaults, use the power switch on the back of the computer to reset it by toggling it off and on 10 times with no more than 3 seconds "on" and 1 full second "off" each time.
If that doesn't work,bring it to a repair shop before you burn out the 'South Bridge' and thus needing to replace your entire motherboard (minimum $140 + labour)

Thx for your reply.
I see a red slide switch next to the plug which says 116 and then 130 so I think it is to change voltage supply. I dont see a toggle or on/off switch in the back or on the power supply inside??? Am I blind?
The wire to the CPU fan looks fine. Does the CPU fan normally always run?

Tx

Without the CPU fan running ,the CPU is overheating and not allowing you to boot. If the fan wire is disconnected, connect it. As far as removing the fan+heatsink, go ahead. A tiny tube of the special heat resisting gunk for the processor is only a few dollars.
However,that is not the obvious problem alone if your computer is not only NOT booting but NOT shutting itself off from overheating. Your hardware CMOS is out of sync. To reset the CMOS to factory defaults, use the power switch on the back of the computer to reset it by toggling it off and on 10 times with no more than 3 seconds "on" and 1 full second "off" each time.
If that doesn't work,bring it to a repair shop before you burn out the 'South Bridge' and thus needing to replace your entire motherboard (minimum $140 + labour)

I'm not sure about the 116 or 130 settings.The fan for the cpu and power supply always run all the time when the computer is on.I have yet to see a computer that does not have a main power switch at the back of the case.The fan wire for the cpu must be plugged directly into the prong on the motherboard and not via any other cable power connection.Only peripheral fans are connected via other power supply cables.
Download PC-Probe for your specific OS and see for yourself that you are overheating the cpu.It will also tell you if the cpu fan is connected.

230 volts. For European power.

Anyway, busy day, but still no start up.
I was able to remove the CPU fan and it was working fine, so put it back and it works fine.
However I still dont see any power switch, but found out I have the G4 Quicksilver.
So I switched out the battery with one I bought 6 weeks agao. And pressed the power management button nex to the battery with the computer unplugged - waited 10 min and all same thing not waiting 10 minutes.
Still no start up.

Is there another way to reset the CMOS? This could be the problem as I did install the optical drive from my G4 powermac and then I installed OS10.3 to the Hard drive that came with the unit. It could have sensed the odd CD drive? I have since removed it.

230 makes more sense than 130.
Without a main power switch ,the CMOS can only be reset by "flashing" the motherboard chip itself.
If you have access to another computer ,download the BIOS flash for your CMOS specifically for your motherboard.Copy the "flash" to either a floppy or a CD if your computer does not have a floppy drive.
"Flash" your motherboard by inserting the floppy.
Removing the motherboard battery for an hour will remove all motherboard functions as the chip memory is normally not permanent without battery power.You would need to flash the chip for sure.
Take the darn 'puter to a shop.One mistake with "flashing" and your 'puter is toast.

Thx. Yes I think I will take it in. Or try to get my money back???
It doesnt have a CD or floppy drive, so the shop is my only alt. left I think...

Thank again, I'll post the results later.

Good. Exchange it for something that works or get your money back.Be polite,nevertheless.

Well, maybe not so easy, I just bought it from a guy on Craigslist.

So I took it to Apple today- genius bar. He said its too old they dont service them anymore- didnt have the firmware anymore. He said to flash the chip to press the battery button down for 5 seconds or there might be a button under the processor chips.
So I took off the processors and no button. Also pressed the battery button for 10 seconds but nothing as expected.

So now that I have the processor cooling fins off, looks like there may have been some
contact adhesive stuff on the processors.
I seem to remember reading about a conductive glue stuff that we are supposed to put on them?
Is that true? Is it hard to do or just put a little bit on?
Where do I get it?

Oh, and to add insult to injury, I actually shocked one processor - static electricity.. Did I totally fry it for sure or do I still have a chance?
Maybe it flashed the chip that we needed to do??? It was a very small shock... Oh man.

OK, I have read up on the Thermal paste and how to apply it.

One article I read, they said it is all pretty much the same whether it is silver, aluminum or ceramic, its all better than none at all - ie air space..
But other things I read say that metal contact is by far better than the paste.
So Im wondering if anyone has tried getting some metal shavings or powder and mix it with silicone instead of thermal paste?

-:suha
Why do you think it is power supply?
All the fans go on, and I get the chimes sound, then I get the kernal...

Thx everyone.

Static electricity can fry a processor.And as I said earlier,the conductive goo comes in tiny tubes since you only need even less than a quarter of the contents per processor chip/cooling fins{heat sink}.You can get the goo at Future Shop,The Source,Best Buy and any reputable PC or MAC computer shop.
Since your computer turns on but the Bios for the CMOS and your OS doesn't finish loading,take your losses and throw the computer away.Buy one from a reputable store.

Well, you wont believe it, but after applying the goo, then removing the optical drive, it is now working.
However it is only happy with one of the 3 ribbon cords which connect the hard drives.

The problem may have been a small power supply wire that seemed pinched behind the optical drive cradle? Or it could just be something else fading in and fading out again.
Lets see how long it keeps going....

Thanks again for your help.

iso

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.