Hi,
My PC which was running fine until yesterday.
Suddenly everything froze up. When I tried to reboot, nothing happened. The HD LED turns to solid red, but the power LED is off. All 3 Fans (2 Chassis fans and 1 CPU cooler fan are on). But nothing else happens.

My motherboard is VIA PM800-M2

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Ahem, ahem. One of these three is the culprit, but now we ask which:
1.) Motherboard
2.) Processor
3.) Power supply
I do not feature RAM as it is rarely affected by power surges/current issues as specificed above.

From what you specify, your board can still produce light, and your board's fans are operational. The most common of cases is that the ultra-sensitive motherboard is damaged to a point where it cannot function as a motherboard, but, basically, as a series of power lines to turn on fans and lights. It could also be the processor, as I included on the list. Think of it as a last resort, unless your power situation is really stable. If the heatsink ever, for any reason, suddenly became loose in a process, the processor shuts down the machine automatically to save itself. Check the heatsink connection, then consider a new motherboard, and thereafter a new power supply (Antec, by name). MSI and ASUS are good names of motherboards in my experience.

Ahem, ahem. One of these three is the culprit, but now we ask which:
1.) Motherboard
2.) Processor
3.) Power supply
I do not feature RAM as it is rarely affected by power surges/current issues as specificed above.

From what you specify, your board can still produce light, and your board's fans are operational. The most common of cases is that the ultra-sensitive motherboard is damaged to a point where it cannot function as a motherboard, but, basically, as a series of power lines to turn on fans and lights. It could also be the processor, as I included on the list. Think of it as a last resort, unless your power situation is really stable. If the heatsink ever, for any reason, suddenly became loose in a process, the processor shuts down the machine automatically to save itself. Check the heatsink connection, then consider a new motherboard, and thereafter a new power supply (Antec, by name). MSI and ASUS are good names of motherboards in my experience.

Thanks BeastOverlordH6 for your reply,
Well my CPU cooler Fan (Thermaltake) was also working. I did check the heatsink connection and it was a tight fit. However I tried to clear the CMOS by changing the jumper settings. Afterwards the power is not comming on at all, not even to the FANS.
I am hoping its only the power supply

thanks again

check in the case for a grounding wire that's come loose from the chassis, usually under the keyboard near or from the fan(s). if this comes loose it will also give these symptoms. i've seen this on a number of laptops including dell and compaq. a dab of solder to ground it back to the casing will sort it. Also please excuse me a silly question but you did put the cmos jumpers back after clearing it? they only need to be changed over for a few seconds with the power and battery out, then put back as they were.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.