Please help,

I bought a new Fujitsu Siemens computer last July and haven't had any problems with it until a few weeks ago. I haven't modified the computer in any way, I only use it for browsing the web and playing games. I bought and installed Sid Meier's Civ 4 a few weeks ago. 2 - 3 minutes into playing it, the screen went blank and was accompanied by a buzzing sound. A blue square then appeared in the middle of the screen saying 'no signal'!!!!! Nothing I did could shift this and I had to turn the machine of at the plug. Thinking it was a one of, I tried playing the game again and the same thing happened. This was the only game this had ever happened with despite playing such titles as BF2 and WoW. I've just bought the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and 5 minutes into this, the exact same thing happened. I am at the end of my tether as my knowledge of IT is still quite primitive and I desperately want to play my games and not see it as a waste of £60!!! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. My specs are:

Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHZ
XP
Direct X 9.0

Graphics card is a GeForce 6200 Turbocache 256MB

I got 1 GB RAM

I think that's everything

Many thanks. Ketchc!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Please help,

I bought a new Fujitsu Siemens computer last July and haven't had any problems with it until a few weeks ago. I haven't modified the computer in any way, I only use it for browsing the web and playing games. I bought and installed Sid Meier's Civ 4 a few weeks ago. 2 - 3 minutes into playing it, the screen went blank and was accompanied by a buzzing sound. A blue square then appeared in the middle of the screen saying 'no signal'!!!!! Nothing I did could shift this and I had to turn the machine of at the plug. Thinking it was a one of, I tried playing the game again and the same thing happened. This was the only game this had ever happened with despite playing such titles as BF2 and WoW. I've just bought the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and 5 minutes into this, the exact same thing happened. I am at the end of my tether as my knowledge of IT is still quite primitive and I desperately want to play my games and not see it as a waste of £60!!! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. My specs are:

Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHZ
XP
Direct X 9.0

Graphics card is a GeForce 6200 Turbocache 256MB

I got 1 GB RAM

I think that's everything

Many thanks. Ketchc!

Further to that, I've delved into the game to check what is causing the problem and it seems that whenever I go to save my progress or the game comes to an autosave point, it just packs in..... it happens everytime. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks, Ketchc

Upon first thoughts, i would immediatly think heating, but you said it happens only when the game is being saved...It could be a curropted hard disk. Run the chkdsk command on your c:/ drive to check for this.

One last thought though, do you have your hard drive and cd drive on the same ide cable?

I ran chkdsk, everything is in working order. I've run tests on my video cards, sound cards etc, everything is coming up fine. If it is overheating, how do I go about recifying that?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.