I thought you guys may be able to answer something for me:

What is the best home remedy for repairing damaged compact disks? And do cd labels help in the prevention of the top metal reflective 'stuff' from flaking off or becoming scratched...I don't want to go byt any cd repair stuff, how about turtle wax? Thanks if you can help or direct me to where I sohould post this...

Christina :o

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The labels certainly help protect the CDs since the most critical surface is the label side, if that gets even slightly damaged then the CD is a nothing more than a drink coaster. The other (non-label) side can take a certain amount of damage. If attempting to repair scratches work between the centre and edge of the CD, don't follow the tracks around.

Best thing to do with a scuffed CD is stroll off down to the local Video/DVD rental outlet. It's odds-on they'll have a polishing machine, and will be able to renovate it for you for a small fee. You can get small portable machines to polish them quite cheaply, but they don't do anywhere near as good a job as a professional one.

Best thing to do with a scuffed CD is stroll off down to the local Video/DVD rental outlet. It's odds-on they'll have a polishing machine, and will be able to renovate it for you for a small fee. You can get small portable machines to polish them quite cheaply, but they don't do anywhere near as good a job as a professional one.

I recently purchased one of those do-it-yourself machines and it seemed to be adding scratches rather then removing them, so I put in a CD without any scratches and sure enough, it came out with scratches! Nothing deep enough to hurt anything, but kinda useless just the same. You should try to find a professional service rather then waste money on one of those machines.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.