I have a HP Pavilion zd8129ea Notebook that freezes up. It freezes up at random, on any web page or website, with no apparent reason. I have taken it to the company that I got it from and changed the Harddisk and the DVD Writer and made sure that everything is working properly, so I know it's not the hardware. I installed the OS(XP Pro Home Edition), including the recovery DVD that had the drivers for the LDC, Bluetooth.. etc. The only thing I can do is turn it off and start over. It used to prevent shutting down, well now it does shutdown but It freezes randomly killing me and my work, I thought it might be the Java so i uninstalled it, I don't know where to begin looking for an answer; Could someone help? I'm dying here and probably taking it again to the company since that It's still on warrenty but I'm so confused..

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by wavyxdavy

Have you launched Windows in Safe Mode? If so, does it run OK or still lock up?

It could still be a hardware issue too. If it runs hot it can lock up. Usually this is a build up of dust in the blower fan assembly. Also, the heat transfer unit may not be fully in contact with the CPU. Sometimes it needs to be 're-connected' using a heat transfer paste like Artic Silver 5. I recently resurrected a HP laptop doing this.

Try Safe Mode first and report back.

Paul.

Have you launched Windows in Safe Mode? If so, does it run OK or still lock up?

It could still be a hardware issue too. If it runs hot it can lock up. Usually this is a build up of dust in the blower fan assembly. Also, the heat transfer unit may not be fully in contact with the CPU. Sometimes it needs to be 're-connected' using a heat transfer paste like Artic Silver 5. I recently resurrected a HP laptop doing this.

Try Safe Mode first and report back.

Paul.

I tried using safe mode and everything works fine, it just happens when i'm on normal.. i tried unplugging all usb ports and nothing happened everything's the same, i tried uninstalling sound card.. no use.

fans are clean. but the lower-right side of the keyboard is hot as usual.

I bought my son the HP pavilion dv8233cl and he is having the same problems. Have you resovled this with your system? Any suggestions?

I bought my son the HP pavilion dv8233cl and he is having the same problems. Have you resovled this with your system? Any suggestions?

I fixed the problem by removing the heat sink and cleaning the surface of the CPU and apply some new heat sink compound. I used Artic Silver 5. I bought a small tube on ebay. Arctic Silver has a web site with a tutorial on the procedure.

Good luck,

Paul.

Had same trouble, my hp laptop keyboard froze on occasions, also I could not run firefox 3 after I had closed the browser and tried to run it again. I resolved both problems in one hit
1. I cleaned battery contacts with isopropyl alcohol using a cotton bud
2. I suspected firefox was the culprit so I downloaded Google Chrome which is a much faster browser and it will automatically import all your FF3 addons, bookmarks, history etc.
If you are using FF then go ahead and try this, I am more than happy with chrome and have made it my default browser.
Good luck

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.