After replacing my fried power supply due to a massive power fluctuation I've been having problems with my Windows 7 PC. Here is a brief list of the problems I'm facing:

1. Only one of the two VGA monitor outs ports are working

2. 50% of the time Windows7 freezes during startup where it says "STARTING WINDOWS". Drives keep whirring, HDD lights keep flashing, and caps lock key toggles on and off just fine; but display screen freezes on the Starting Windows screen. The only way out is to restart computer and start again. Sometimes jiggling the exposed part of the video card breaks out of this cycle and windows loads fine. Also note that Windows loads fine in Safe Mode.

3. When Windows does load I often get this error after the screen goes black for a moment and then recovers: Display Driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version XXX stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Please help me solve this problem. I'm not sure whether the problem is either with the motherboard or the video card or just with software. I know my RAM is fine. I primarily use this computer for basic video editing and so every minute of every day that is lost is costing me $$$!

MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
16.0 GB DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 (LGA1155)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470

If more information or clarification is needed please let me know! Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Do you still have a warranty on it most likely there both fried so if you do it will be worth sending it back and getting them replaced

Robert, thanks for responding! Both the board and the video card are out of warranty. So you think that I'll have to replace the board AND the video card? Yikes! Along with the power supply this practically means I need to get a whole new computer!

if you look on this site: http://www.msy.com.au/home.php you should see lots of parts you have to click clearance to see all the parts as its an icon of a crate saying clearance on it
Plus have you tested the Hard Drive to see if that got stuffed

Thanks for the web link Robert. I do have a local vendor so any parts I need can be bought easily.

I just ran diagnostic tests on my drives and they seem to be working fine, thank God!

This is why we use surge suppressors! Chances are that many components on the motherboard and/or video card were fried with that surge. My system and peripherals are plugged into a UPS that is also a serious surge supressor (industrial strength). Brownouts can cause almost as much damage as a lightning strike surge. My advice is to get a new system and be happy if you can recover your data from the old system.

OH?

I completely agree with you Rubberman, I should have had a surge protector/UPS to power condition my system, and I didn't. So now I have to suffer the consequences.

Right now I'm using the very same computer to type this message, and I'm hoping and praying that it sustains itself long enough for me to make alternate arrangements.

This gives rise to several other questions which I shall post on a new thread. One of them being how to keep data intact on striped drives when changing to a new motherboard.

Im building one with surge protection

Thanks for the image Robert. Didn't fully understand it, but thanks anyway.

Whoops i was going too like do another post to say if you wanted to have a look but oh well but its all going now just need to power it up

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.