Hi I am new on this web and I bought a Seagate freeAgent go External hard drive I found it helpful so I Purchased another one Now after a few months the Second HD stopped being shown in my computer It was working fine plugged it in my laptop copied a file and then plugged it in my pc didnot come up in my computer although it shows up in the foll locations:
1 Device Manager (Not Disk Manager)
2 Add Hardware (control panel as a connected device It reads as it is working perfectly well)
3 Safely Remove hardware

It does not show up in
My Computer
Disk Management (Right Click on Mycomputer icon then manage then disk management)
I do not know what the problem is

I think that the drive is in Standby mode because its LED is illuminating around 20% and the seagate web says that this means it is in standby mode
It means that the disk is not spinning.

If the disk is not spinning how to make it spin

If u can help i woulb thank you a 10000 times !
thank you!

padfoot1999

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Is there any problem with your first hard drive. Sometimes flash drive or hard drive will not show up in my computer for apparent reason. Have you try go into a word document or other application and go to file. Click on save as choose a name and the location. For the location did you see your hard drive there, if not refresh it. Your disk may not spin maybe you accidentally drop the hard drive on the floor. The hard drive will crash. Please specifiy your problmes. What do you use your hard drive for?

It was working fine plugged it in my laptop copied a file and then plugged it in my pc did not come up in my computer

Does it show up on your laptop? If not then your drive may have been damaged. Did you safely remove hardware before disconnecting it from your laptop the last time? If you didn;t there is a good chance the drive is now crashed. There are a number of utilities that might be able to get your drive back but you need to get access to the USB port your drive is connecting to.If there is a driver for your drive that may have been corrupted check that otherwise go to the website for your drives manufacture and see if there is a software driver install utility that might help you out.

commented: Nice! +0

Agree with few of the suggestions above. But since its just 2 months old, why not utilize the warranty period from SeaGate ?

Agree with few of the suggestions above. But since its just 2 months old, why not utilize the warranty period from SeaGate ?

If we can help, we try our best and help. And is free too!! ;)

I've not had much luck with Seagate FreeAgent drives. They are prone to failure. My suggestion is to log onto the Seagate web site, report the problem, and get an RMA to replace it. They are pretty good in getting replacements back to you quickly, and if you pay between $10 and $20, they will ship you a replacement via overnight express along with a free return shipping label. The cost of shipping that you save almost pays for the fee, and you get the replacement in the next day or two, instead of waiting for the drive to get to Seagate and then for the replacement to get back to you.

Imation hard drive is pretty good too. I got a seagate and so far there is no problem even though i drop it from table level, cos i got a hard drive cover. The orignal poster still have not come back and update his post

Thank you so for your suggestions it realy going to help

Are you having the same problem as padfoot1999

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.