I had a power surge yesterday which evidently fried my power strip, so my Dell Inspiron 9000 laptop slowly lost power and turned off. I charged it all night before trying to restart it. Now it boots to the big character-mode menu with like 12 options, including SafeMode, Start Windows Normally, Reboot, etc.

If I choose any of the start-type options it does nothing, just redisplays the same menu. If I choose Reboot, it reboots and lands me at the same menu.

I've checked the BIOS during bootup and all looks ok. Note this is different from another situation I've seen on this laptop where it didn't recognize the hard disk during bootup.

Since the power surge didn't immediately damage the laptop, would its slow powerdown somehow screw up Windows XP SP2, making it unbootable? Is there some way to unscrew it up?

Thanks!

the easiest way round this is to reinstall windows as its screwed up at present.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.