From my understanding, LED monitors turn each pixel on sequentially at such a high speed that the human eye can't observe it, but how does it make the necessary connections? For example, for a monitor made with a single color of LED across a standard HD resolution (say 1940 x 1080) there would have to be 3020 connections assuming its built in a grid.

I'm assuming I'm missing something.

There are at least six types of OLED displays noted at https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/oled3.htm but the pixels are being powered by row and column addressing which is why it does not take 3,020 external connections to the display panel.

Similar addresses and schemes were used in LCD displays and many get confused over a LED LCD display versus the OLED. One think is not like the other as the saying goes.

commented: So each row is powered, unpowered, and then the next powered so quickly we think that it is being done smoothly? +1

There may be integration to get the drivers and decoders onto the same die as the LEDs, but yes, otherwise, 3020 connections x 3 (R G B) and a very fast scan rate. Any my TV is 4K, not 1080. I suspect they may be driving more than one dot at a time, as 16 (for 4k is 16 x as many pixels) x 1080 x 1940 x 59.98 Hz = 2 GHz, but maybe -- chips are so fast these days. All three colors need to be driven at once, I expect. Pixel intensity can be modulated by voltage or time of the pulse, and varying the timing or voltage at high scan rates is hard.