From my understanding, LED monitors turn each pixel on sequentially at such a high speed that the human eye can't observe it, but how does it make the necessary connections? For example, for a monitor made with a single color of LED across a standard HD resolution (say 1940 x 1080) there would have to be 3020 connections assuming its built in a grid.

I'm assuming I'm missing something.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

There are at least six types of OLED displays noted at https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/oled3.htm but the pixels are being powered by row and column addressing which is why it does not take 3,020 external connections to the display panel.

Similar addresses and schemes were used in LCD displays and many get confused over a LED LCD display versus the OLED. One thing is not like the other as the saying goes.

commented: So each row is powered, unpowered, and then the next powered so quickly we think that it is being done smoothly? +1

There may be integration to get the drivers and decoders onto the same die as the LEDs, but yes, otherwise, 3020 connections x 3 (R G B) and a very fast scan rate. Any my TV is 4K, not 1080. I suspect they may be driving more than one dot at a time, as 16 (for 4k is 16 x as many pixels) x 1080 x 1940 x 59.98 Hz = 2 GHz, but maybe -- chips are so fast these days. All three colors need to be driven at once, I expect. Pixel intensity can be modulated by voltage or time of the pulse, and varying the timing or voltage at high scan rates is hard.

LED monitors, also known as LED-backlit monitors, use an array of Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) to provide illumination behind the display panel. These LEDs are responsible for producing the light that passes through the liquid crystal display (LCD) panel, allowing the creation of images.

The LEDs in an LED monitor are typically arranged in a grid pattern, with rows and columns. The specific arrangement may vary depending on the design of the monitor, but the principle remains the same. Each LED represents a pixel on the screen, and by controlling the brightness of individual LEDs, the monitor can create different colors and shades.

To control the LEDs, LED monitors utilize a system called "LED driver circuitry." This circuitry includes various components such as integrated circuits (ICs), resistors, and transistors. The purpose of the LED driver circuitry is to regulate the power supplied to each LED and control its brightness.

The LED driver circuitry is typically connected to a microcontroller or a specialized chip that receives signals from the computer or other video sources. These signals contain information about the image to be displayed on the monitor. Based on this information, the microcontroller or chip determines the appropriate brightness levels for each LED in order to reproduce the desired image.

The LED driver circuitry sends electrical current through the appropriate rows and columns of LEDs to achieve the desired brightness levels. By selectively illuminating specific LEDs and adjusting their brightness, the monitor can display different colors and shades at each pixel location. This process is done rapidly and continuously, resulting in the perception of a full-color moving image on the screen.

It's worth noting that the specific implementation of LED driver circuitry can vary between different monitor models and manufacturers. However, the fundamental concept of using a grid of LEDs controlled by a driver circuitry remains consistent across most LED monitors.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.