hi ,
i am in serious trouble.my pc restarts when i enter yahoo chat rooms or when i try sound recording with mic. i sent the error report to microsoft's site and every time they replied that the problem is with the systems audio driver (realtek HD audio). so i uninstalled the driver, then the pc didnot restart on entring yahoo chat rooms (but with no sound). so i thouhgt that getting latest drivers will solve the problem. but lattest drivers also showed the same problem.
now i think that the problem must be with the onboard sound chips of realtek on my motherboard.

can anny body tell me that can the onboard sound chip be repaired, and where on motherboard these sound chips are . is there any site where i can see the draigrams or drawings of the sound chips on the motherboard.
i have an intel 915GAV motherboard.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Ashish,
Although this is a pure guess do the following and let us know what happens.
Right click on my computer then click on properties.
goto the advanced tab click on startup & recovery "settings"
Uncheck "Automatically restart" under the system failure box.

Let us know if you notice anything different next time you try and record a sound or access yahoo chat.

If i'm right u should see some white text on a blue screen explaining the root cause of the problem. Write it down and post it here.

My advice is to use drivers that previously worked. I have on-board sound card also, and while updating (automatic widows update) it changed form real-tek (original driver) to Nvidia audio driver (latest). The crucial difference is that my sound works with either of them.

You could've also had corrupted codec.

If your soundcard is toasted you would have no sound while you were getting those system errors + you would have some kind of error while booting the machine (BIOS message and/or Windows bsod).

Ashish,
Although this is a pure guess do the following and let us know what happens.
Right click on my computer then click on properties.
goto the advanced tab click on startup & recovery "settings"
Uncheck "Automatically restart" under the system failure box.

Let us know if you notice anything different next time you try and record a sound or access yahoo chat.

If i'm right u should see some white text on a blue screen explaining the root cause of the problem. Write it down and post it here.

sennetor,
thanks for showing concern. i did all what u had told , and a blue screen appeared with a message that the problem may be due to the latest software or hardware installation.and it said that an attempet was made to execute the non executable memmory.

can u tell me where on the motherbord the sound chip or circuits are.
do inform me

It is clear that this is a software (driver, to be specific) prob.
Simply uninstall audio driver (if you installed one in the mean time) via device manager and install original one from the driver CD you got when you bought the machine.

If the problem appears again (notice if the sound is working at all after driver installation) it is probably a corrupted codec.

chaky thanks for ur concern, but i have changed my drivers many times but it has not solved the problems, even i got the latest drivers for realtek.
i think the problem is in the sound hardware part of the motherboard.

chaky thanks for ur concern, but i have changed my drivers many times but it has not solved the problems, even i got the latest drivers for realtek.
i think the problem is in the sound hardware part of the motherboard.

if you open the case you will see the sound chip near the plugin for the speakers ,my advice to you is to buy a cheap PCI sound card ,diasble the onboard and install a pci card ,like this one .http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=L-8738-4C&cat=SND

hi jack ,
ya i am also thinking of buying a sound card, coz for repairing my motherboard will cost good money and i will have send it to the intel center at Banglore ,thats too far from my place .so i will buy a sound card now.
thanks for ur concern

I suggest that you test it with a sound card before you buy one. Just in case I was right.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.