I have a sony vaio laptop and i want to disable S.M.A.R.T. the only problem is it wont let me disable it through BIOS. there is no option. Do i have any other possible solutions? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Please help this is bugging the hell out of me. Its a toshiba hard drive.. I know I have backed up everything but i dont have the money right now to buy a new drive so i need help disabling it. THANKS.

The only way I know of is to disable it via the BIOS. Have you tried calling Sony? If I remember correctly, Sony computers come with Utility software installed within Windows which has some options that would normally be configurable via the BIOS. If your computer doesn't have that utility software currently installed, try installing the software off of the Applications and Utilities CD that shipped w/ your lappy.

I'd like to add that disabling SMART is not recommended. SMART monitors your Hard drive for any impending failures and alerts you in advance if it detects anything abnormal with the drive. I strongly recommend you keep SMART enabled.

Get the program here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartmontools/

Try this command set "smartctl -- smart=off -- saveauto=on /dev/hdX"

Where "X" is the HDD you want to de-S.M.A.R.T.

hda is the first drive detected, hdb the second, and so on. You can fish for it.

Using smartmontools is easy to disable SMART, but the change unfortunately it's not permanent. Infact when you reboot the computer, the HDD's firmware make a check and it ri-enables automatically the SMART. So, only with smartmontools, i can't solve my problem :-(

Tuloide, a simple logon script to disable SMART when you login may solve your problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.