I have been playing around with an old computer of mine, and have found that when I turn on the computer, nothing happens, but if i unplug the 4pin power connector attatched to the motherboard and turn on the power, the fans run, but nothing else does. Any ideas as to what is going on? I remember smelling a slight burning smell, and then the computer powered off.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Four pin? Is this a Molex plug, with a square shape?

I have been playing around with an old computer of mine, and have found that when I turn on the computer, nothing happens, but if i unplug the 4pin power connector attatched to the motherboard and turn on the power, the fans run, but nothing else does. Any ideas as to what is going on? I remember smelling a slight burning smell, and then the computer powered off.

I have the same problem with my computer. My PC shutdown unexpectedly, and when I went to turn it on again, it only came on for about 2 seconds. Now there's nothing. The power LED on the mobo is fine, and the fans flinch when I turn the PSU on, but that's all that ever happens. If I unplug the square 4-pin molex from the mobo, I can turn the computer on... that is, the fans and drives run, but nothing else happens. Same thing happens with a different power supply.

I talked to a shop, expecting it was the mobo... but the tech guy there said he thinks it's actually the CPU, since the 4-pin power is for the CPU. So I'm going to see if AMD will return it.

My specs:

Asus A8N-VM CSM mobo
Athlon 64 X2 3800 CPU

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.