hello,
I have an ECS G733 laptop (sold under various brands) that only boots very occasionally - 19 times out of 20 it does not even POST. then when it does that often ends in a corrupted screen rather than continue to booting the OS.
for a while I did manage to get it to POST more frequently by removing the RAM, cycle power, replace ram, power on to POST. i don't know why that worked but it dod for a while (not anymore)

I replaced the 3v internal backup battery (yet the next time it did actually POST it said the battery was low).

almost every time it does get to POST the bios setting are returned to default.

does any one have any idea how to fix it? I have opened it up and found a capacitor near the main 14v battery looking like it had died (bulging and discoloured).

thanks, Joseph

appears that you've identified your own prob., i.e. defective cap. unless you've the expertiese to replace the component then it's either take to a friend that does or pony up for a new board. btw, it's possible but unlikely that RadioShack is gonna have the cap., most likely some electronics specialty retailer. it's gonna have to go back in the way it came out polarity wise. it's draining your batt.

followup: capacitors DO go bad, however, it's also possible that you've more serious probs. elsewhere, either as a cause and/or result of. U might wanna cross your fingers.

followup: capacitors DO go bad, however, it's also possible that you've more serious probs. elsewhere, either as a cause and/or result of. U might wanna cross your fingers.

thanks - fingers have alternately been crossed and clutching a screwdriver ready to drive it through the motherboard.

i've tried removing the capacitor completely (infact I had it out for most of the times that it has managed to get to POST)

i fear I have alteast two problems compounding eachother.

one of the primary functions of a cap. in most any circuit is to act as a buffer (relief valve) between voltage and hard ground. if it's defective (usually result of an overload, especially an electrolitic) it'll either go nowhere or STRAIGHT to hard ground. U can use a replacement of a greater voltage value but the pf, uf, etc. must be at least in the same range + - 10%. suppose you've found that the easiest way to repair board is out of the box. use a computer grade surge protecting strip or better yet a UPS + put a "soda can" on the power line going into the house fuse box.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.