Hiya

I am trying to play WMV files.

I have tried through Media Player both 9 and 11 and also Real Player

They both play the video very fast and is unwatchable.

My first guess is a lack of a certain codec, but accorindg to GSPOT, i have all the codecs.

I can however play the files thru WinAmp but this is of no use because some of the files are streamed from a website, so i need to get it sorted..

Do you have any ideas please

Cheers

Paul

depending on ver. WMP has options that allow fast forward play, seems that yours is stuck that way. if you can't find and alter the play options from within the app. your best bet is a COMPLETE uninstall, remove everything before installing a new ver. the problem with the average install/upgrade is that the app.'s settings are not usually deleted but are simply reused. the uninstall sequence is slightly different on each WMP ver.

Thx for your reply, but how do you do a complete UNINSTALL

I have done uninstalls from add/remove programs but as far as i know, that is about as good as it gets with WMP ?

Cheers

Paul

MS actually has a paper (KB) on the matter, unfortunately MS's search eng. leaves a lot to be desired. google a search such as "uninstall WMP" "setup/install can not continue, same or later ver. of WMP already installed" or similar words to find it. WMP 9-1x has had plenty of issues that are setup related.
other sites as well had guidelines just as or more easier reading, been there, just don't remember where. some guy actually has a comprehensive large page to that aspect alone, but as I noted don't remember where.
the OS's uninstall ISN'T comprehensive enough, you want to start fresh as if nothing had been there before. when you think you've gotten rid of everthing be sure to reboot to clear the registry.
x:\program files has a windows media WMP in it, it'll help some to delete the entire folder and any other related subfolder under x:\Documents and Settings, best check first to see if there are any audio/video media files that you want to keep, if there are move them somewhere else at least temporarily.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.