This is not strictly speaking a dead machine problem but somebody might have come across the problem. When I power on my PC (ShuttleX), the usb lights come on (mouse, hub etc) but nothing happens for about 5-10 mins and then everything starts up and boots normally. I've checked cables, run CHKDSK etc.

The only suspicion I have is that the clock is never right when Windows finally arrives which has not been fixed by changing the motherboard battery. Is this a BIOS problem?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

maybe the components are drawing too much power. remove unnecessary cards and drives and then boot it to see if it makes any improvement

Replace you CMOS battery.

I've already done that - it didn't make any difference

I'll give that a try, thanks. Although I haven't added any cards or disks since it used to power up properly.

You might also like to try loading the CMOS defaults and see if that makes any difference i have had a few machines that do this and restoring thos defaults usually fixes the problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.