I was wondering about the retail fan/heatsink included with the 3400+. I just had a few questions concerning them.
1) Are they decent quality? Or should I purchase better ones.
2) I can't find the specifications on either the fan or the heatsink, the only information i can find is that they are included with the CPU. Does anyone know where I can find the specs for them?
3) I am planning on purchasing the arctic silver 5 thermal paste. Do they preapply their generic thermal paste to the CPU and fan?

Thanks in advance for the help, and thanks for computer building sticky Catweazle ;)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Member Avatar for szukalski

3 - The heatsink has thermal paste on the underside.
2 - Pass.
1 - They work fine. As stock, they were keeping my cpu around 40 degrees C. I put on an aftermarket cooler and it's around 27 now. As it was, it would have been fine but I'm planning on overclocking in the future and wanted to get ready for that. Just bear in mind that you void the cpu warranty by using a different heatsink/cooler.

I'd stay with the stock unit, to start with at least. There really should be no need for an aftermarket unit unless the PC is operating in an extremely warm environment, or unless it is overclocked, and there's no need to overclock an A64 3400+, that's for sure!

I personally use AS5 on heatsinks, but as said, doing so DOES void warranty!

Thanks for the info, but I am still curious as to what the provided heatsink/fan is. I am simply bringing this up because fans/heatsinks are advertised on newegg (socket 754) for about the same price as AS5. Possibly I will spring for a different fan, or a fan and AS5, depending on the performance of the stock fan/heatsink.
Thanks for the help.

AMDs stock heatsink/fan units are quite good quality. If you intend to use an aftermarket unit, expect to PAY for it and don't try to cut corners by sourcing a 'cheapie'. I'd suggest that any heatsink/fan unit which cost only as much as a tube of AS5 would be considerably inferior to the stock unit!

Thanks for the info, but I am still curious as to what the provided heatsink/fan is. I am simply bringing this up because fans/heatsinks are advertised on newegg (socket 754) for about the same price as AS5. Possibly I will spring for a different fan, or a fan and AS5, depending on the performance of the stock fan/heatsink.
Thanks for the help.

Also, I had one other question I forgot to post. I am currently still undecided as to what case I should purchase. Basically I want one that is below 120 dollars or so, but if there is a really nice one a little over I might spring for it. The most important thing for me is cooling performance. If possible I would like an acrylic window as well. Finally, the case shouldn't be too hard to use. Thanks for the help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.