504MB RAM
XP Home Edition

CPUID #'s

No motherboard listed
Chipset: Intel i915GMS/i910GML Rev. 03
Southbridge: Intel 82801FBM(ICH6-M)

BIOS: Phoenix Tech LTD.
Ver: R0080J1

Well this belongs to my niece and she dropped it! I know, kids what can you say. Well after she dropped it, it ran fine for a month then all of a sudden it moved very slow. Sony won't touch it w/ a ten foot pole!

When you turn it on it takes forever to load, the Windows XP screeen runs for about 2 mins. Then it loads a black screen for another min. then the desktop opens and spends another min before it makes the Windows sound. When you open anything it takes 30 or more seconds to open ex; My Computer.

I've checked the memory cards they both seem to be working. I'm not sure if this is the motherboard or what.

Any help or suggestions would be great!

Thanks again!

Yeti

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

anybody know how to check if this is a motherboard issue w/o having to tear apart the notebook?

Such extreme slow-down can be caused by number of things:

- underclocked CPU
- lack of free HD space (almost no HD space)
- viruses, trojans, adware, spywarwe...
- HD issues (dying HD, bad cable connections...) a.k.a. PC having hard time accessing and writing to the HD
- the list goes on

I suggest that you run the Hijackthis and post the log here.
You can do a little test by booting in the safe mode to see if the boot time is the same as normal mode. If it takes same amount of time or longer than it is pretty much hardware issue, since the safe mode loads only the most necessary drivers to keep the PC operational, but I doubt that this is the case.

Thanks for the reply.

I ran some spyware softeware already and was able to clean up some of the registy files. Is there a hardware diagnostics I can run?

The laptop booted in safemode was still slow. We took the laptop in for a software dianostics and there was no problems w/ the software. So I'm just wondering if I can run the hardware diagnostics now?

Thanks,

Yeti

There are various memory testing software that you can try. Memtest86 would be my recommendation.

For the rest of the hardware I say try SiSoft Sandra. Lite version is free (evaluation). It has many features, including various benchmarks and Analysis and Advice feature that can help you speed up your PC. It detects hardware settings and such that slows down your PC.

cool thanks! i'll go ahead and run the SiSandra diagnostic and see what it tells me!

appreciate the help once again!

Feel free to post the log of Analysis and Advice tool and I'll see if there is anything I can do.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.