i apologise if this has been posted before but i am new to this site today.

I'm having various problems with a PC running stupidly slow at times. Its currently 128mb ddr ram, and i'm looking to upgrade it. Its running windows XP at the moment. But it seems to run slow. I had Norton Anti Virus installed but the system grounded to a halt. So it's been removed until more memory has been added.

I have a different anti virus program installed, and adware installed too. I also have a program called window washer installed to clean things up. so i don't think its virus or anything like that.

Can i get away with sticking in a 256 ddr ram in my spare slot next to my current 128mb ddr ram, or do i have to balance it out by only using another 128mb ddr ram or use 2x 256mb ddr ram.

Can i get away with just sticking the ram in and the machine recognising it or am i going to have to have a fiddle.

thanx for any help that people provide, and apologies if this question has appeared before

cheers

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You can put as much ram in as you wantm in any differnt sizes (within reason).

I would suggest either 2x 256's or getting 1 512 and adding it to your current machine,

make sure you get the same clock speed:)

I would suggest you'd be best to purchase a 512Mb stick, and if you have any stability problems after installing it, discontinue using the 128Mb stick.

Problems usually arise from mixing brands of RAM, if they occur at all ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.